Herpes Community
MSM Frottage Herpes Risk

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

MSM Frottage Herpes Risk

Hi, I'm a little worried about contracting herpes. I had skin to skin genital rubbing with another man thinking that it was safe sex. I've recently read in a few places that naked frottage can transmit genital herpes.

He had a small patch of discoloration on the shaft his penis. It appeared dry and not at all like a wound or anything. Afterwards, we showered and washed with soap and water.

I've read some first hand accounts now of MSM frottage producing herpes just now online --- is it worth worrying about? I don't want to pass it to my other partner.

Lastly, if in a week's time I don't show any symptoms -- would it be safe to say I'm clear?

Thanks so much for your help.
can you get std's from naked outercourse? yes you can. are you likely to contract a std from naked outercourse? no you are not.

we do recommend that if your pants are off, a condom should be on to protect yourself but overall the risk is very low.

have you ever been tested for herpes before since it's on your mind?  The rates of hsv infection in gay males is high so it's well worth routine testing for it :)

grace
Thanks Grace. Yeah, I think I was just being paranoid. I don't remember being tested for that specifically but I have never had any symptoms of herpes in my life and I've been fairly choosy about my partners.

And thanks so much for taking the time to reply!
doesn't matter how choosey you are dear - statistically 1 out of every 2-3 people you have been with in a lifetime has had hsv1 and 1 out of every 4-5 has had hsv2. You can't make educated decisions about what precautions to take until you know who has what and since hsv2 increases your hiv risk, knowing your status is in your best interest.

have you had your gardasil shots too?
No not yet. Will do that.
at your age gardasil won't be covered by insurance and you will have to pay out of pocket. discuss with your provider if it's worthwhile or not based on your sexual history.