Married with hsv 1 and children
I'm concerned, NO that's not the word I'm scared out of my mind! I have four children and I'm concerned that I/we have infected our children. I'm scared to test them because I'm certain that this will serverly limit their relationships in the future. I want to be a responsibile parent and protect others but, I can't get passed the fact that my beautiful babies may already be infected. I've prayed about this situation but I know the getting the true medical answer is safe. I guess what I'm looking for in the community is: Is there anybody else out there with the same concerns and fears. If so, if your children have been tested positive How are you handling it? How old are your children? How have you explain what going on with them? Do you beat yourself daily with gulit?
children under 14 can't have blood tests for herpes. unless they are sexually active, no real reason to test them anyways.  I'm assuming from your post that your children aren't actually experiencing any signs of cold sores either?

do you and your partner have hsv1 orally?

grace

Thank you, for getting back to me! Yes both my husband and I both have hsv 1. I'm concerned that we have passed this along to our children. They don't show any physical signs of the virus, but then again neither do my husband or myself.  I have read that blood test for hsv 2 aren't accurate but I'm not worried about that, I want to know about hsv 1. How accurate are those test? Why shouldn't I worry? This is not a personal attack against you but I have spoken to 4 different professionals and all have said don't worry! Why? If I'm concerned I don't think that my concerns should be dismissed then followed with stats about All of America. Is this the comment that is given out in training? It's not normal to have HERPES! I just want to be responsible and it's weighing very heavy on my heart and mind to think about any limits my children will have in the future! I have beautiful children inside and out and I would hate to see them limited because of HERPES!
yes it is normal to have herpes. By the time we get to the old folks home, about 80% of us have it. It's very common and for most folks a nuisance more than anything.  By the time we start kindergarten even, 30% of us have hsv1 orally. It really is THAT common.  

perhaps if you stop thinking of HERPES in capital letters, it'll help you deal with knowing you have it better too?

http://www.ashastd.org/herpes/herpes_learn_oralherpes.cfm  is a terrific site with down to earth info on oral herpes.

grace