Herpes Community
Might I have throat herpes?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Might I have throat herpes?

Basically, I spent some time recently with my significant other, and he discovered while I was there that he has a very high chance of having genital herpes (simplex 1). I'm getting tested today, hopefully, but from the looks of things at this point, I have it too. In fact, I'm about 99% sure.

What I'm unsure about, which is now sending me into much more of a panic, is the possibility of herpes in my throat.

I started to get a sore throat several days ago, and it's become hard to swallow. Yesterday, it hit me that there was possible contact with the inside of my mouth (surprisingly not the lips) with a part of his body that may have touched either of our genitals. I used a flashlight, and I can see about three white tipped bumps at the start of the throat, and am now worried that I've gotten it there. I haven't been able to find a picture of what throat herpes looks like anywhere. The only thing that's eased my mind at all, is one site that said throat herpes is often misdiagnosed due to similarities to other throat sores, but I can't really find pictures of those either.

If it helps, I've felt feverish lately, but that could be due to the genital ones, couldn't it?

If it does sound like throat herpes, I'm wondering about the risks of it spreading to other parts of my mouth. Does it stay confined pretty well back there?

I've come to accept that I most likely have herpes, but this is really really worrying me. Please answer soon.
I'm always amazed that folks think of herpes first and foremost with a sore throat. There are so many viruses, as well as strep, that cause a sore throat.

Ultimately, be seen by your doctor to have a swab/culture done of your throat. Never, ever self-diagnose.
I only thought of herpes based on recent happenings. I just started thinking I might have genital herpes about 3-4 days ago, and had it almost completely confirmed this morning (just waiting for the test results). When I said I'd come to accept I most likely have herpes, I was referring to the genital ones. Sorry if that was confusing. :/

Wondering if the sores in my throat were also herpes was a combination of paranoia and bad timing, I think. I wasn't trying to self diagnose, so much as try to figure out if I should even be worried.
What genital symptoms do you have?
Statistically in the US alone, 1 out of every 2-3 adults has hsv1 orally. It's incredibly common and by the time we make it to the old folks home, about 80% of us have the virus.  Unless you've been tested for herpes previously, you might even have it and not even know it.

why does your partner think they have hsv1 genitally? what testing have they been thru?

What testing did you have of your genital area?  You didn't mention any genital symptoms in yourself in your initial post.

grace
While I was visiting, he went to Planned Parenthood, to get some bumps he had checked out, and they said it looked like HSV-1, since his symptoms were so minor. They also did a culture, and prescribed him for some meds. His results are coming back Tuesday, I believe.

When I went, once the doctor saw the area, she basically started treating the situation as if I definitely had it, though I did also get a culture done, of course (getting the results Thursday or Friday). I don't think there's generally a bunch right next to each other, but I do have quite a few bumps that turned into sores generally all over the area (and apparently also on my cervix WTF). She said it could be HSV-1 or 2, so I'm just waiting to find out at this point. It burns pretty bad when I pee, unless I take measures to prevent it, which I found online, and was told in the office (drinking a lot of water to dilute my urine, pouring warm water over the area when I go, etc). It itches, towards the beginning it kind of burned, and occasionally would hurt briefly in concentrated areas (like a pinprick).

He's my first sexual partner, but he used to sleep around quite a bit. Originally, he was going to get tested before we did anything, but, well, things don't always go according to plan. :/

I also started getting the bumps and soreness and everything a day or two after contact while he was infected (at the time, he thought it was nothing, but started to worry when another bump showed up).

At this point
Whoops! Got cut off.

Was going to say: At this point, I'm pretty sure it was just a weird looking sore throat. Since throat herpes is so rare to have by itself, and since it's gotten better pretty fast, I'm not too worried at this point.
It"s not hsv1 just because symptoms look mild. Actually hsv1 genitally tends to present with very severe symptoms since odds are that it was transmitted because the person already didn't have hsv1 orally to protect them.

You both need type specific herpes igg blood tests done. I'm willing to bet that your bf had hsv2 and never knew it and recently transmitted it to you.  

At this point, way too late to culture any oral symptoms you have for herpes.

grace