Herpes Community
Misdiagnosed with hernial herpes?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Misdiagnosed with hernial herpes?

I was diagnosed with genital herpes about 6 months ago by the doctor just looking. She took a swab test of the open sores which came back non conclusive and a blood test which came back negative. If I had been infected, it would have been about 2 weeks prior to the tests. The sores started as red bumps which turned into open sores that looked like canker sores, around the inside of my lower labia and the entrance to my vagina. I have been taking 500 mg Valtrex daily since then and have not had an outbreak since. Does Valtrex often work this well? And does this truly sound like herpes or a misdiagnosis? Thanks.
I don't know about the valtrex, but from what I've read about the blood tests I think you have to wait longer for them to really be able to detect the virus. I would give it a couple of months and then get the blood test again.
You have to have a certain amount of time for the virus to be in your system before it will be detected.
Good luck!
you indeed had your blood tests too early.

at this point, I'd stop the daily suppressive therapy since you started it early into possibly being infected.  Should you get a return of symptoms,  be seen within 48 hours of their appearance for a lesion culture and typing. Otherwise wait a month or two and repeat your herpes igg blood test and go from there.

do you have a regular partner?

grace
I do have a regular partner and that it why I am reluctant to stop taking the antivirals.