Herpes Community
More Herpes Blood Test Questions
About This Community:

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

More Herpes Blood Test Questions

I've posted on this forum before regarding confusing Herpes blood tests. It's comforting to know I'm not alone in my confusion. Although, it's also disheartening to see how many people have trouble interpreting results. I'd like to lobby for more accurate testing and informed practitioners.

In any case, I've posted before about confusing Herpes results. Since 2006, I've now been tested for Herpes I and II *six* times! AH!

Here's my test result history:

April 2006: Positive Herpes II test result (doctor did not indicate what test was performed, but said over the phone that the test results appeared "strange" so recommended I come in for another test the next day)
May 2006: Negative Herpes II test result (doctor did not indicate what test was used)

August 2006: Negative Type Specific IgG test results for both I and II, but *equivocal* IgM test result for Herpes II (at a value of .91)
October 2006: Negative Type Specific IgG test results for both I and II; Negative IgM test results for both I and II

July 2007: Negative Type Specific IgG test results for both I and II

September 2008: Negative Type Specific IgG test result for Herpes I, but positive Type Specific IgG for Herpes II (at a value of 1.11)

In between these tests, I have been sexually active with two partners who have had no symptoms of Herpes. In fact, I asked my last partner in July 2007 to get tested for STDs, and his doctor told him it was not necessary to get tested for Herpes since he has had no symptoms (which I now don't buy!). In any case, my partners and I have consistently used condoms.

I've had no symptoms to date. So, what would you recommend at this point? I've heard the Western Blot Herpes test is the "gold standard." Should I ask for this test since my positive Herpes II test result was low?

Thanks.