More question then I can find answers for.
Hi there,

I am hoping you will be able to provide me with some insight on hsv-2. It is not for myself but a close friend who was just Dx with genital herpes on and around the rectum/buttock area. There is many sores (12-18 atleast) present and his is in a great deal of pain. The MD. at the clinic he went to told him there was no tx for pain when it came to this. Also that because they are now open sore there is no meds or cream that can be given and time will take its course now. Is this all  true? Also he has Hx cold sore before but never this. How long ago was he infected? Could he have been infected a while ago and just  recently the virus got activated, or was the primary infection more recent?

Thanks in advance,
It's a shame that they didn't give him acyclovir or valtrex to help speed healing :(  Did they do any testing?

dermoplast spray ( the blue can, not the red can for the genital area ) is very helpful. It's a topical anesthetic you can find at most drug stores. You just spray it on the lesions which is very helpful.

Soaking in the tubby with epsom salts thrown in is also soothing.

He can alternate tylenol and advil unless he has a medical reason not to. It helps to give pain relief similar to some narcotics - ie 1000mgtylenol at 6am, 600mg advil at 9 am, tylenol at noon, advil at 3pm etc.

also send your friend the link to the herpes handbook - www.westoverheights.com

grace