Herpes Expert Forum
My Dad 74 Years Old Just Got Herpies(herpes) 2

Welcome to the Herpes forum. This forum is for questions and support pertaining to herpes simplex virus infections (HSV-1 and 2) and herpes zoster (shingles) and the virus that causes it, varicella zoster virus. Questions about genital herpes are welcome both here and on the STD Forum.

My dad is 74 years old, and just had a spermacoloctomy from a 600cc cyst on his right testicle, and 3 days later developed a fever. I took him back to the urologist, and he admitted him to the hospital. He was admitted for 8 days. We were told that he had two separate infections. One infection was a septic infection, which explained the 104 fever, and I just found out yesterday that the rash around his genitals was herpes 2. I don’t understand how he got herpes. My dad is already immune-compromised because he takes Cyclosporine, which is an anti-rejection medicine for the kidney transplant that he got 19 years ago. I'm not a doctor; just a concerned son. I read the hospital records, and I read that the surgeon gave my dad 1 gram 4 Ancef 30 minutes before the operation. My question to anyone who has more knowledge than me on this matter. How did my dad contract Herpes 2? Being that my dad is taking Cyclosporine " Immune-Suppressant " Shouldn't he been given an anti-biotic before, and after the procedure as well as the 1 gram of injectable 4 Ancef given to him 30 minutes before the operation? I understand that getting an infection from an operation is a risk everyone faces, but being that he's immune compromised already. Shouldn't he've been on an anti-biotic/anti-viral/anti-bacterial med before, and after the operation as well?? Also I took him back to the urologist yesterday for a follow-up visit, and I didn't know this until yesterday his testicle sack is bigger now than before the operation. The urologist told me that it's swelling, and it should subside with time. He also told me that it's possible that it won't subside as well, because of the infection that my father got. Is there anyone out there that can clarify this situation for me? Why??
So tell me how your father was diagnosed with HSV 2, if you know that.

Here is my guess - your father has had genital herpes for years, and the taking of medicines that suppress his immune system allowed the herpes to come out.  There would have been no reason for anyone to put him on an antiviral medicine before he had surgery until someone knew that he had genital herpes.  

Your dad contracted HSV 2 through sexual contact at some point in his life, just as anyone would.  Even dads have sexual history, right?  He did not contract it through anything going on right now with his medical care.  This isn't particularly comfortable for a son to deal with but it is what it is.  His testicular swelling has nothing to do with herpes.

If you have specific other questions that I might answer, please let know, OK?

Terri
Hi terry thanks for your reply. I have some questions about my dads situation. Is there a test that will determine if my dad had heroes before his march 24th, 2011 spermacoloctomy?
Well, if they have any blood saved from before the surgery, they could test that.  But there is nothing about having the surgery that would give your dad herpes, if that's what you are wondering.  Was any testing done to make the diagnosis of HSV 2?  

Terri