Herpes Community
My bf and I both have HSV-2. Question on oral sex.

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

about 2 years ago, my boyfriend and I were both diagnosed with HSV-2. and outbreaks have been pretty few and far between.

The other night, he performed oral sex on me and the next day I started feeling a little funny down there and I think it may be a break out but I'm not sure because it feels different that the last couple of outbreaks.

We both take echinacea and l-lysine to help out. To keep the outbreaks at bay.

My big question is; What are his chances for contracting HSV-1? I dont know what to do. Please help.
Herpes type 2 does not change to type 1. And since you are both outside of the first year range of being diagnosed, your risk of it moving to the mouth are pretty much zero.
You both have the same type in the same area so you're not going to catch it in your mouth. I've given oral sex to my partner while he was having an active outbreak and had no issues. I'm not worried about it. You're fine. :-)
echinacea and lysine don't really do anything for herpes for. if you want to have less ob's in general, you'd want to take daily suppressive therapy with one of the 3 herpes antivirals.  you guys are spending money needlessly :(

in your situation, it's not likely that your partner will contract hsv2 orally from performing oral on you . as was already said, you both have significant protection from contracting herpes on other body parts in general. we never recommend performing oral when you have active lesions though - there is active virus being shed so why take the chance as well as active lesions are open portals into the body for germs and what are normal germs in the oral area, aren't always so normal in the genital area so it's actually a general infection risk for the partner with the open lesions.

grace

Have a Herpes question?
100,000+ doctor answers