Herpes Community
My situation.. Herpes / Relationships / False IgG

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Here is my story... I'm a 30 YO male. I've been with my GF for about 6 months (as of now). She had a outbreak when we were 2 months in to our relationship... Her IgM came back positlve (IgG was negative) for HSV2. Obviously i too was tested - my IgM and IgG were positive - Which means i already had the virus and it's almost certain she caught it from me. I have never had any symptoms or reason to believe i was carrying anything. her first outbreak was terrible - Not the actual outbreak, but the pain and illness she suffered for weeks. She was totally wiped out by this thing. You can imagine i wasnt exactly Mr Popular.

Initial Tests: Me                                    Her
                   IgM: Positive                     IgM: Positive (1.8 i think)
                   IgG: Positive                     IgG: Negative

So, the Doctor said that she should come back in 3-4 months and get another test. The Doc said from the next test, her IgM will be negative and her IgG will be positive as the virus would have evolved to be "chronic" (horrible word by the way). Last week she was retested after 6 months and her IgG is STILL negative (but her IgM is still positive). How is this possible?! She has had 3 or 4 out breaks "downstairs" yet the IgG is still negative 6 months after initial exposure. We carried on with unprotected sex for the 6months between tests because the DOCTOR said there was no point because her IgM was positive (which was wrong to say as this test is inaccurate).

6 Months later:   Me                              Her
                         IgM: Negative              IgM: Positive - 2.8
                         IgG: Positive               IgG: Negative

Every Doc / Forum / Blog says that her IgG should be become positive by now - most say 3 months. The biggest grey area is that the Doctors are telling her that she MAY have shaken off herpes (is that possible), in spite of her 3 or 4 outbreaks. Obviously our relationship is on the rocks because i'm still positive for HSV2 and she might not be. We are deeply in love with eachother, but she doesnt want to run the risk of playing with fire with her health again. Which puts us in a pretty horrible situation.

If she has shaken off HSV2 - it's bittersweet - It's great that she has a 2nd chance and clean slate, but also means it's going to be tough staying together, having to wear condoms for the rest of our lives.

I love her and i'd do anything for her - Anyone in the same situation??

To the teenagers reading this: I'm a 30 YO man dealing with this and it's tough - I'm sure its worse for you. Please just remember: This is NOT the end of your life. You are not alone - There are millions of people in the same or worse position. Stay clam and be strong.
pcr urine testing isn't accurate at all as I already said.

you need to seek out a herpes WB blood test at this point to confirm your herpes status.
I'm no expert, but you can't " shake off hsv"
Also, during the outbreak where the lesions swabbed ?
No, we have done blood tests - no swab from an outbreak. We have both done a PCR test, waiting for the results this week. The wait is HELL.
did you have obvious lesions that you had pcr tested?

were there numeric results for your hsv2 igg results? also to confirm, they were hsv2 igg results you posted or was that the only herpes results you received?

grace
I see from your other post that you had urine pcr testing done. TOTAL WASTE OF TIME AND MONEY :(
So my IgG is positive (2.8) but my PCR is negative - What does this actually mean? I've spoken to 100 different doctors and had a 100 different answers. My girlfriend is still IgM positive but negative IgG after 6 months. I really appreciate your help.
The above results are HSV2 specific. I've never had any outbreaks. I did a 'first catch' urine sample which was sent for PCR.