Herpes Community
NEGATIVE HSV BLOODWORK, POSITIVE CULTURE, GROUP B STREP....????

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Roughly three weeks ago, I developed what I was sure was an ingrown hair around my panty line (inner side of upper leg, near vagina). Having dealt with an ingrown hair, I treated it accordingly and tried to remove the hair, etc...nothing out of the ordinary...yet.
Around the same time, my friend got a bad case of Staph and was really sick. I limited my time spent there and around him for fear of getting Staph myself.
About two weeks ago on a Friday, I woke up with a swollen groin lymph node and freaked out. I looked at the "ingrown hair" and it wasn't alarming...looked like an ingrown hair that had been picked at, but with slight redness around the area. (no discharge at this point or discomfort other than the node being a little tender) I called my mother and explained what was going on "down there" (never mentioned the fact that I could have possibly been recently exposed to Staph) and she suggests it might be Staph, as she contracted Staph after a back surgery and had swollen groin lymph nodes and the like.
At this time, my primary care provider was closed so I went to a local urgent care center. This is where a lot of doubt and confusion comes up because my experience with this particular establishment was less than stellar. I go in and fill out the paperwork to be seen (was certain it was a Staph infection at this point.) An MA takes me to a room and proceeds to do my vitals and ask some questions. I tell her I think it's Staph and that I was currently coming out of my menstrual cycle, but thought that I might have gotten it from touching an infected area then changing my tampon. I tell her exactly where is it and she says that the DOCTOR can't look at it because it's so close to my vagina and they weren't really "allowed" to do such a thing. I was kinda like, "uhh...what?" Seeing my dismay, she left and came back and said they would look at it.
After taking off my bottoms, the doctor comes in and takes one look and says, "Yep, looks like herpes." I WAS SHOCKED. Keeping it cool, I inquire how, why and all the other questions you would ask in this situation. She was blunt and vague and began asking me about my current partner asking if he were out to sea or had been on deployment recently, suggesting infidelity. I quickly correct her, telling her that I AM the sailor and no, I haven't been out to sea or on deployment. I also inquire as to how the military missed this because I had a pap smear and a blood test in Sept. '11 (I asked to be tested for everything before this particular test) and many different blood samples taken since then. She swabbed the "sore" and took a culture from my vagina. I provided a urine sample and the MA proceeded to take a blood sample, with no luck. Tried on both arms before calling on a RN to complete the task. I was told to call the following Friday for results.
Leaving heartbroken and with a prescription for antibiotics for HSV (Acyclovir 800 mg) and Staph (Sulfamethoxazole-TMP-DS Tablet) , I pick them up. I did not take either until Monday and I only took the Acyclovir because she seemed so certain it was Herpes. A couple days after I begin taking it, I develop a yeast-like infection. I've been prone to them and had several in my adult age, but this one was of thinner consistency. At this point, I'm sure it's herpes and pretty down. Upon doing my research to see if there would be any problem mixing either of the two together or with other supplements and medicine I was currently taking , I find that antibiotics can CAUSE yeast infections. During the week, the sore changed slightly and looked like a raw spot, not like any of the pictures I've seen of herpes. It healed up completely in week.
After three days of failed attempts to locate my results, I finally get them. They were as follows:

HSV 1 IGG TYPE SPECIFIC AB          0.05
HSV 2 IGG TYPE SPECIFIC AB          0.04

CULTURE, HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS, RAPID METHOD SOURCE: VAGINA
HSV CULTURE: POSITIVE
CHLAMYDIA/GONORRHOEAE: NOT DETECTED

RPR (MONITOR) W/ REFL TITER: NON-REACTIVE

CULTURE, ANAEROBIC BACTERIA W/ GRAM STAIN
SPECIMEN SOURCE: VAGINA
SPECIMEN QUALITY: INADEQUATE
GRAM STAIN: TEST NOT PERFORMED
RESULT: TEST NOT PERFORMED. SOURCE IS NOT ACCEPTABLE FOR TEST REQUESTED.

CULTURE, AEROBIC BACTERIA
SPECIMEN SOURCE: VAGINA
SPECIMEN QUALITY: ADEQUATE
RESULT: HEAVY GROWTH OF GROUP B STREPTOCOCCUS ISOLATED.

When I picked these up, the receptionist gave me the results, not the doctor. I was given instructions to have a follow-up with primary care provider and a prescription for Penicillin that was marked out (probably because she realized that I'm allergic...) and Clindamycin 150 mg was wrote in its place for the strep infection.
Doing my research, I have found a billion different things that could cause these symptoms, such as Group B strep. I also relate to severe candida growth, as I have gotten them even in my teen years. I have been with my current partner for approximately 4 months and there has been no such problems other than a few yeast infections. He admits he hasn't been tested for quite some time, but has had very few partners since then. I am a healthy, 22 year old female who rarely gets sick and maintains a good diet. No history of pregnancy or miscarriages.
Yes, I know herpes can stay in a body undetected for years. Yes, I know that I or my boyfriend could have had it and not known. The whole experience at the clinic and the delay of results make me think they did something wrong. The symptoms are also not dead on, which suggests any number of underlying problems. The results are also slightly contradictory.

I am in the process of scheduling an appointment with an OB/GYN, but trying to get some advice and peace of mind in the meantime.
Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

Strep b vaginal infection is fairly common. typically we don't treat it unless you are symptomatic. If you are known to be a strep b carrier, it is also an issue during pregnancy near the time of birth and is treated then to help reduce the risk of transmission to the baby during birth.  

typically the US military doesn't test for herpes as part of all the testing they do regularly on members. Pap tests only look for abnormal cervical cells and don't test for herpes or other std's.  you would need to check to see if herpes was ever a part of your testing.

At this point you know you have hsv2 from your vaginal swab. Your partner will need tested to know his status too. Since your blood work is negative for hsv2, odds are this is newly acquired and since he's your only partner odds are it came from him but he'll need tested to know for sure.

Actually no reason to think that the clinic did anything wrong. You can have multiple issues down yonder and indeed the initial herpes infection can present very mildly like yours has.  

btw I just have to say your comment about you being the sailor gave me the giggles - LOVED it!!!

grace