Herpes Community
Need Opinions

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Need Opinions

Professional opinions, please.  Non-professional are welcome as well.

Hello all.  I'm male.  Recently, about 9 weeks ago and 7 weeks ago, I had protected intercourse and unprotected oral sex (gave and received) with a female who at the time didn't show signs of herpes on the mouth or downstairs.  I thought nothing of it and then one morning I was leaving her place and found a bottle of valacyclovir (Valtrex) in her medicine cabinet, along with bottles of B12.  I recall after one of those encounters I had a sore throat for a couple days.  She always complained of being very tired to the point she wanted to stay home a lot.  We ended up breaking it off.

I started feeling extremely anxious, so I went in and got blood tests done 2 weeks later, including specific Igg tests for HSV 1 and HSV 2.  All tests came back negative, though I understand I should re-test at 12 weeks.  A few weeks passed before anything else happened (weeks 1 through 4.5 post-encounter were generally problem/symptom free).

At 4.5 weeks post-encounter, I woke up, stood up, and experienced sudden onset vertigo for the first time in my life, which destroyed my sense of balance.  I vomited, went to the ER, got a CT scan to rule out brain issues, and was put on amoxicillin antibiotic because they felt sinusitis (sinus infection) brought on the vertigo (though I never had problems with a stuffy nose, runny nose, or congestion).  The docs also said it could have been brought on by a common virus.  I looked up "herpes vertigo" and there is substantial reporting on a link between herpes simplex and vertigo.  Anyway, I started the antibiotics that night.  The next day I had a canker sore (which I know isn't the same as herpes).  The vertigo gradually went away over the next two days, my balance came back completely in about 5 days, and the canker sore healed after about 6 or 7 days.  About 5 days after I started the amoxicillin, I experienced sore and inflamed gums, almost exactly how it feels when you burn your mouth with steaming hot food or pizza.  The skin on my gums (around my teeth only, not the roof of my mouth or cheeks) was peeling like a mouth burn for a couple days.  Now it looks like I have light recession occurring on my gums and I floss daily and brush 2x/day.

Last week (week 6 post-encounter), I started feeling paresthesia (burning/tingling) on the top right shaft of my penis, just above the glans (glands), and I got a "discolored" circular spot on that same area, about 1/4" in diameter, just under my circumcision scar.  The spot wasn't raised or filled with fluid, but it was visible to me, more "reddish-brown" than the other tan/brown skin and tingled/burned.  I also noticed a 1/2" scratch-looking mark on the top left side of the shaft with no redness that was never there before.  I also felt tingling in my upper lip and parts of my cheeks at the same time as the tingling/burning on my penis, which seemed to come and go.  The tingling/burning began before I ever knew it was a symptom of herpes.  I went and saw my nurse the next day and the tingling was more noticeable and I was sure something was happening.

My nurse looked at my penis and said it wasn't an STD and that she had worked in STD clinics before.  She thought I was experiencing anxiety-related issues, but like I said, everything was fine for several weeks and then all of the sudden I felt tingling/burning and didn't even know that it was a part of herpes symptoms, so how could it be from anxiety when I thought I was clear of herpes after my blood test?

Fast forward to this week (7 weeks from last encounter).  I hadn't ejaculated in the past three weeks, so I thought maybe the tingling on my penis was from prostatitis, but that still doesn't explain the tingling on my face.  At this point, the burning seemed to be happening in the spot on my penis and also my scrotum.  So, I masturbated lightly, making sure to not touch the discolored part of my shaft near the glans (glands).  Today (two days post-masturbation) the hot/burning sensation in my penis and scrotum is gone (the small discolored spot is still there) and the burning is now completely in my perianal region.

I called my nurse again today and told her what's going on (this is a week after she looked at my penis and mouth) because it felt like there's a cut/burn near my rectum nearly all day and the burning came and went only a few times.  I inspected it in the mirror, but can't see any cuts/bumps.  I researched "antibiotics yeast" because I learned that antibiotics can sometimes cause an increase in candida yeast in the body, and can cause burning.  She agreed it could be what it is, but there is NO DEFINITIVE rash or redness (the discoloration on my penis is slight discoloration, but not red).  She told me to use anti-fungal Lotrimin cream on my penis and perianal region, so I started doing that.

Sorry for the long detail, but I feel it was necessary for your educated opinions.  Knowing that the girl had a bottle of valacyclovir makes me suspect I have contracted HSV, possibly on my mouth and genitals.  Everyone says prodromal symptoms come AFTER the initial outbreak, but to date (thank God) I have not had an outbreak.  I know the tingling/burning are not just in my head because I'm not always thinking about this.

Any professional opinions, please?  Can anyone add all this up?
Even if your partner has herpes, most encounters with infected individuals do not lead to transmission. What you have doesn't sound like herpes at all, but it does sound like you're really concerned about it. Have you asked your partner what type she has (HSV-1 or HSV-2)?

A main reason this doesn't sound like herpes is because herpes presents itself usually within 2-21 days post exposure. Since you didn't develop symptoms until 4.5 weeks (those symptoms you described aren't really related to herpes) there's really no concern. Since your test came back negative for both HSV-1 and HSV-2, you most likely would have had an obvious and painful outbreak. Usually, the people who experience mild or "unnoticeable" outbreaks are those who have anitbodies to HSV-1 then get infected with HSV-2. When your body has no antibodies to either, you're most likely going to experience symptoms. This doesn't sound like herpes going on at all. For a definitive answer you can get tested at three months post exposure, but since you have no obvious symptoms (multiple painful blisters) then it'd be extremely, extremely, unlikely that you'd have herpes genitally. Plus, your doctors/nurse has said it looks nothing like herpes or anything else STD related and you should trust in that.