Herpes Community
Need answers

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Need answers

I was diagnosed in June with a positive culture after what I thought was a uti. I had a blood test done also at the time of the culture and my igm and igg antibodies were both negative. 7.5 week later I am positive for igm and igg and I think my igg level was a 2. My now ex boyfriend got tested and he says he was negative. It has been over 2 years since I was with anyone else in any capacity. I don't know what test he had. Can I be sure that my tests are accurate and this is a new infection? My doctors believe it was new but his test confuses me. He was sleeping with someone else in March of this year so i dont know if hes being honest. I havent seen his results myself. Thanks for your feedback in advance.
Sorry the positive culture and 2nd blood test was for hsv 2. I started having symptoms days after our last encounter.
hard to tell if your ex's results were the right ones or not.

what is important is that you know what you have and where. that way you and future partners can make educated decisions about what precautions to take.  

grace
Do antibodies start to form at exposure or with the first outbreak?
from the moment you are infected with the virus the body's immune response starts.
If I took one valtrex pill 2-3 hours max before my blood was drawn would that have affected my blood test results? My prescription was filled after my culture but before I went back to the clinic for a blood test.
Hi I was diagnosed with herpes and I have read and researched so much information.. and some of it contradicts.  Accorrding to what I have read, if you have a + culture.. that's it .  You have it regardless of what the blood says.  The blood tests apparently aren't very accurate because it is trying to locate antibodies in the blood stream.  Also apparently men can not get the virus as easily as women.... although your boyfriends test may be false negative as well because he hasn't produced enough antibodies. Yes they start fighting the virus right away. I have also read that some people (lucky ones) may carry the herpes virus and never have an outbreak! Some have 1 some have tons! But it can still be transmitted because the virus can lay dormant inside a skincell at the surface of where it will or could outbreak.
I'm not in denial that I have it. Ive read a lot as well. Im just trying to establish that it was a new infection. I read an article by Terri that said the only way to know for sure was to have the culture test and blood test done at the same time which I did but the blood test was taken a few hours later after I took one pill. My culture was + and the blood test igg neg. Im now starting to develop antibodies with a low + igg 7 weeks later.  I know it doesn't change anything but It helps me mentally to know when I was infected.
if you had had genital herpes prior to this partner, just taking a few valtrex wouldn't have affected your igg testing at all. it sounds like this is a newly acquired infection for you.

since this is an ex bf, odds are you won't find out if he was actually tested and what testing he had to know if it was accurate or not. as I said previously, you know what you have and where which is the most important info to have.
Have a Herpes question?
100,000+ doctor answers