Herpes Expert Forum
Need some advice!!

Welcome to the Herpes forum. This forum is for questions and support pertaining to herpes simplex virus infections (HSV-1 and 2) and herpes zoster (shingles) and the virus that causes it, varicella zoster virus. Questions about genital herpes are welcome both here and on the STD Forum.

Need some advice!!

HI,

I just wanted your input on my situation.  I was diagnosed with HSV2 in March 2010...same story as others...went in for regular check up, came out shocked, very surprised, never had symptoms, I have had one or two yeast infections in the past prior to being testing, one in particular i remember being very intense, but always assumed it was yeast- wish i got tested to be sure. However, i never had obvious symptoms...although i know now that doesn't matter.

I have been with my bf for a year and a half, I told him when I found out. He got tested, his results were HSV1 negative, HSV2   .9

After going through the process of being upset and shocked i started my research.

My first test was in March '10  results came back at   1.15

Second test  April '10   results came back at 1.2

Third test his past year in Feb '11  results came back at 1.16

After  talking to my doctor about some of the research about low positives, he thought it was okay for me to try Western Blot to see the results... I took the Western Blot towards the end of April ...got results back and they were intermediate

March '10 ... 1.15
April '10 ...... 1.2
Feb '11 ....... 1.16

April '11 Western Blot .. intermediate

What am i suppose to think now???  My doctor told me exactly what it said on the Western Blot results. How I should retest in a few weeks due to antibody growth, however my doctor also said he feels my results will be the same because I have tested months apart, and my results continue to be in the same range. He will support me getting another test, but hates to see the money wasted.  

I know my best bet is getting the Western Blot done again, in which I am going to do as soon as I financially can.

Please help! I just want to hear your professional opinion on this. I just want a true answer, I feel like I am going to always have this low positive, in between result!!

thanks again for your time!
If you've had no new exposures (possible infection from someone who might be positive for HSV 2) and you do another western blot and it is also indeterminate, I believe you are not infected.  Our rule of thumb is that is someone is indeterminate for 6 months or longer and has no symptoms consistent with herpes, they are likely not infected.  I know this can be so frustrating!  Herpes testing is not perfect.  If you want to do a brief phone consult with me at the clinic, I can get more details and talk to the lab about your actual blot presentation to try to get a little clarity for you, if that would be helpful.

Terri

That would be so helpful! I would love to be able to talk to you more about this. Please let me know how to go about doing so.

I have not had any new exposures.... I have only been with my boyfriend.

I want him to get another test done to be sure ... his IGG was .9   from what I understand that is considered intermediate.  He has never had any symptoms prior to being with me, and so far none while being with me.

Should I wait six months from April to get another Western Blot done? At this point, 6 months would actually be the end of next month ( October ).  I have all the paper work ready to get blood work done, I just need to call University of Washington and order the next kit.

Thanks for you time Terri

You can certainly call my clinic and set up a phone consult, 503-226-6678.
Yes, wait until the 6 months has passed and do the westerner blot again.  It wouldn't hurt for him to have one also.

Terri
A related discussion, Continuing Discussion was started.