Herpes Community
Need some solid medical advice on whether I have herpes or not

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

About 3-4 months ago (around the week of April 23rd, 2012), I had an outbreak which my doctor visually diagnosed as herpes - I had a few lesions around my anus, and a few also cropped up around my inner thigh.  My doctor took a viral culture test, which came out negative, but he explained that this was probably a false negative because I came into the clinic too late (not at the very onset of my symptoms).  I took Valtrex for 10 days during that outbreak, although it didn't really seem to help - this painful outbreak lasted more than a month! Meanwhile, I began taking Acyclovir, which I have been taking as suppressive therapy every day since.  I haven't had an outbreak since.
From what I heard and read about herpes, even though my tests may have initially been negative, after a few months time my results should be coming out positive on the blood tests.  
Two months ago, I got a type specific blood test for herpes, which came out negative.  Just last week, I got another blood test for herpes types 1 and 2, and it also came back negative.  My doctor said that there is a good chance I don't have herpes, but he's ordered another blood test just to be sure.
My questions are:
How possible is it that I do in fact have genital herpes, but the antibodies just haven't shown up yet?
In addition, since I have been taking acyclovir on a daily basis, could this have effected my blood test results to come out as a false negative, even at this point? My doctors said that taking acyclovir wont effect antibodies in my blood, but is this true?

I apologize for this long post - some advice would really, really be helpful.  I'm nervous because I'm dating a guy I really, but haven't had sex with yet. I'd like to start having sex soon, but I want to be able to give him a solid yes/no answer for as to whether or not I have herpes.
at this point, I'd stop suppressive therapy completely. should you get a return of symptoms, be seen within 48 hours of the start of symptoms for a repeat lesion culture and typing.

a visual diagnosis of herpes is wrong 1/3 of the time which is why follow up testing is so important. at this point hard to tell if you really don't have herpes, if you start suppressive therapy so early into things that it's delayed seroconversion or if you have hsv1 genitally which even the best blood tests miss frequently.  

has your new fellow been tested for herpes and other std's to know their status?

grace
Hello Grace,

My guy has been tested and is negative for everything. How sure are you that acyclovir delays seroconversion? And if so, what is the likelihood of this happening?
All of the doctors I've talked to so far said that taking acyclovir as suppressive therapy will have no effect on by blood test results, so hearing this is concerning for me, as well as very confusing.
At this point, I'm not sure if I'd want to stop the suppressive therapy, for fear of there being a small chance that I pass it onto my partner (if I'm actually positive).
How long would it take to get accurate blood results if I continue on therapy?
Thanks for your help.
several studies that show that seroconversion can be delayed by starting suppressive therapy early into things.  

just avoiding sex any time you have symptoms still results in very low rates of transmission to a partner. better to take that small risk and get real answers as to your status than to continue to think you have herpes, spend money and time on daily suppressive therapy  and not have real answers as to what is really going on.
Thanks Grace.
One last question (this is what I'm most concerned about) - How much of a delay can the seroconversion be in my situation? Like how many weeks or months would you say?
At this point, I've decided to just continue to take antivirals anyways (the money isn't that big of an issue for me, it's more for my partner's peace of mind).  Thus, continuing on antivirals, how long would it take for the antibodies to show up if I DID have herpes?
Also, what would you say the chance is that my seroconversion has been delayed?
Thanks again Grace.