Herpes Community
Negative IgM Result and first time Equivocal IgG Result

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

I have taken a few HSV 1&2 IgM & IgG antibody tests at my doctors office. They have always been negative. I had a sexual encounter in July and was tested at the beginning of October and my HSV tests were still all negative (IgM - 0.38 & IgG - 0.66). I then had another sexual encounter in mid-October with a different person and got retested (approximately 3 weeks after encounter). I have no symptoms of any kind nor have I ever. The person I had sex with also recently checked for herpes and was negative. This time my IgM was still low at 0.46 but my IgG came back as Equivocal at 1.05. My Dr. told me the IgM test checks for a current/recent infection and the IgG picks up the memory cells from previous exposure. Given that as recently as October I had tested negative to exposure, why now, 1 month later, would my result be equivocal even though I maintain a negative IgM test telling me I have no recent or current infection?
My doctor said this; "IgM is the marker for an acute infection. IgG are the memory cells from a previous infection or exposure. Honestly, I am not sure why your results were equivocal this time compared to last as it doesn't make sense...unless you had a acute outbreak of herpes or a cold sore within the last 2 months and then built up a mil immune response. Obviously this would be something you would have known... I feel there is no rush to recheck".
Other then that one sexual encounter in October, I've only done as much as drink from the same cup as friends. I suffer from severe anxiety and asked to be rechecked and am going in to retake the test tomorrow. Does anyone have any thoughts on why the IgG this time around came back Equivocal and how that could happen? Anyone else ever receive an Equivocal result before to be followed by a negative?
Any comments might ease my concerns slightly until I can get updated results.Thanks!
Also, what can cause an equivocal result for someone who may turn out to be negative?
herpes igm testing is no longer recommended to be used on adults for the purpose of diagnosing herpes. encourage your provider to update their herpes testing knowledge by reading the 2010 cdc herpes guidelines.  

are you getting type specific herpes igg blood testing done or the combined testing? since you are only listing one result, I'm guessing it's non-type specific testing which isn't the igg testing you should be getting either.

you are testing WAY too early for herpes and most std's from your encounters. you have to wait at least 6 weeks for syphilis testing to be accurate and 3 months for herpes, hiv and hepatitis testing from encounters. you can be testing for chlamydia, gonorrhea, trich and ngu after 1 week post encounter.

are your sexual encounters protected?

grace
Thank you for your response. I had the combined IGG test done so I went back to have the type specific test done. I realize 3 weeks for the combined test was too soon and even now at a month for the type specific is very early. I guess what I'm wondering is, given that my last HsV test was a strong negative (0.68 igg) at 3 months after a protected intercourse encounter ( unprotected oral) why would my recent test show up equivocal (1.05) so short after the most recent (unprotected) encounter. Also, the person I had sex with  told me they had tested negative as well on their IGG ( unless they lied).

I guess what I'd like to know (knowing full well I still need to test again at the 3 month mark) is; Is it possible to test equivocal and eventually turn out to be negative? Or am I doomed and on the path to being positive? What could cause an equivocal result in a (fingers crossed) negative person? Also, at this point would you consider me tone contagious? I have never had a symptom of any kind in my entire life.

Lastly, I realize its early for all tests. My dr wouldn't even check me for syphillus. He did check me for chlamydia, gonnorhea (Gonorrhea), and I had two of the P24? Viral load HIV tests done a week apart from each other. These apparently  are accurate 17 days after exposure. I had them done at 15 days and 22 days both were negative. I'm also immune to hepatitis A and B.
you really wasted more time and money retesting again at this point. we really can't ascertain anything about your status at this point.
Is it possible to test equivocal and eventually turn out to be negative? Or am I doomed and on the path to being positive? What could cause an equivocal result in a (fingers crossed) negative person? Also, at this point would you consider me tone contagious?