Herpes Community
Negative Test Results

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Negative Test Results

I recently went and was tested for HSV during a time I thought I was having some type of "outbreak".I had bloodwork taken and a culture of the area. Both came back negative. Not that I want to have herpes, but I am having a hard time believing that I don't. Is it possible that I got a false negative on these tests even though I felt symptoms were active?

Could this be something else? I have been getting bumps on my vulva for almost a year and they come and go. I don't really describe them as sores b/c they do not break open and crust over as I've heard them described as. However they are uncomfortable and I often get intense itching as well (which is more annoying then the bumps themselves).

After I was tested, the Dr. gave me Valtrex for 10 days. I didn't really feel like it helped at all, in fact towards the end of the dosage I eneded up getting another bump!

How soon after the sexual encounter did you have symptoms/test?

Indeed other things can mimic herpes, so the test results can very well be correct. However, let's just say that it was in fact herpes - the culture can have false negatives, and a blood test wouldn't be accurate until 3-4 months post encounter (sometimes sooner, but not within days for a new infection). But, given you've had symptoms like this for a year, the blood test should be accurate (unless you're basing it on a new sexual encounter).

What did the doctor diagnose the bumps as? If they don't become sores/crust and heal then most likely it isn't herpes. At some point you have to believe your testing and work with your doctor to determine what's going on. I actually have genital herpes, and also have finally come to the bottom of a long ongoing issue I had with allergy/dermatitis. I'm a good example of the saying that even if you have herpes (which at this point you are negative), not everything IS herpes related. Have you been tested for yeast and bacteria? You may want to consider a dermatologist at this point as well.
The last sexual encounter I had was well over a year ago. These symptoms did not start right away after that. The physicians assistant who looked at it didn't really say if she thought it was herpes when she looked at it... she just took a culture of it. When I called for my results and she said they were negative I asked her what she suggested and she said to come back in 3 months and be tested again. I really don't want to wait that long to figure out whats going on, so I plan to go to my regular gyno and see what's up.
not likely this is genital herpes going on if your igg blood testing was over a year after you last had sex. no reason to go back in 3 months for more herpes testing since enough time had passed between your last encounter and your blood testing.

going to be seen every time you have genital symptoms is annoying but it's the only way to get to the bottom of what is going on. You might also want to keep a symptom diary too when you have symptoms - include foods eaten, activities partaken in, soap used  etc.

best of luck getting to the bottom of this all!

grace
Did they not give you any other explanation as to what this could be?  How long do symptoms last for and how often do they come?  Hope you are feeling a bit better.