Herpes Expert Forum
Nervous about potential herpes

Welcome to the Herpes forum. This forum is for questions and support pertaining to herpes simplex virus infections (HSV-1 and 2) and herpes zoster (shingles) and the virus that causes it, varicella zoster virus. Questions about genital herpes are welcome both here and on the STD Forum.

Nervous about potential herpes

So I made a huge mistake and performed oral sex on a guy that I did not know very well. Also included some limited skin to skin genital contact and kissing. At no point did I see any visual signs of either oral or genital herpes.

A few days later I developed a slightly red bump on my upper lip that did not hurt but was slightly numb if I would push on it with my finger. It went away after about 5 days.

15 days after potential exposure I went to Planned Parenthood and had a type specific IgG test done that came back as <.9 Non-reactive for both HSV1 and HSV2. I asked for more specific numbers but they said and didn't have specifics. I also realize that this was too close to the potential exposure so it's possible it's a false negative.

Shortly thereafter, I began feeling a tightning sensation in my lower back and other genera anxiety feelings. One evening the very tip of my urethra began to burn very slightly but was only noticeable when I sat down or layed down (when standing, for the most part, it went away). This lasted for approximately one evening and for the most part went away until I had sex with my wife the following weekend. Immediately afterwards the tip had a very slight burning feeling again and again it was brought on when seated or laying down moreso and seemed to 'throb' with my pulse. This also lasted approximately one evening/day and then went away. Now I'm noticing far more 'twitching' going on in my legs as well as some slight numbness in my toes and upper back region, particularly in the shoulder blade areas. I'm unsure if this is attributable to the vast amount of anxiety I'm under currently or somehow related to it settling into my nerve system. I've had no blisters or lesions down there from what I can tell. This has been going on, off and on, for approximately two weeks. Does this sound like herpes? Is it rare for Planned Parenthood not to have exact numbers?
Sorry to be getting back to you late, we are on a month long trip.  
All the body sensations you are having in locations other than the genital area and your mouth.  As for your mouth, if the doctor looked at it and said it didn't look like herpes, that should be good guidance.  Also, if you are truly negative for HSV 1 and 2, then I would expect any first infection with either to be a bit more symptomatic then what you are describing here. First episode oral herpes would likely not go away in 5 days.  However, if you are still concerned in 3-4 months, you could retake the test.  Just statistically, it isn't very likely that you would acquire herpes at a single encounter, though not impossible.

Terri
I should also note, I was tested for syphilis, gonorrhea, HIV and chlamydia as well. All came back negative.
Additionally, I've begun to experience intermittent tingling in my right toes and left shoulder blade/center of my back and some infrequent twitchines in my thighs and calves.
One more thing, last night, I now noticed that a small red spot (about 1 in long by 1/2 in wide) that appears to be a little rash like appeared right at the intersection of my thigh and public area near my left testicle.
Just got back from the doctor, 24 hour walk in clinic. He looked at it briefly after explaining my situation and without even taking a test of the region just said 'looks like a fungal infection and not herpes because there aren't any sores'. It can't be that definitive, correct?
Thanks Terri, although now I do have the rash in my grown area, where the thigh meets the pubic area (in that skin crease). I've seen two doctors (one 24 hour walk in clinic and one with a family practice doctor) and both said it looks a lot like jock itch (fungal infection). But I've also read that these two things are often misdiagnosed. In your experience, do they seemingly mimic each other?
Just bumping because I'm not sure if you saw the additional information I provided after my initial response. My legs/calves are consistently twitching (not a spasm but more just like a little twitch under the skin) when I'm sitting down or lying down.

Additionally, I'm experiencing mild burning in and around my scrotum (potentially diagnosed as jock itch by two very brief looks by doctors but they did no tests despite me telling them of the encounter). I've been putting anti-fungal creams on it and the redness seems to go down but the burning/itching comes and goes. Additionallly, the backside of my scrotum gets a random tingling that lasts for a few seconds and then goes away.
OK, I see the additional information.  The area of irritation does sound very much like a fungal infection to me.  It is really uncommon for herpes to be in that area and while it is true that fungal infections and herpes can be mixed up in their diagnosis, that, in my experience, is more common in women than men.  Keep applying the antifungal medicines, these things can take about 3 weeks to go away, and that is applying the medicine twice daily.  

Terri
As an update, I got an IGG test done at the 8 week mark (7 weeks+5 days). Negative for both as of now. Do you recommend additional testing?
The result can be considered accurate at about 75% at this time.  Whether you test more or not is really up to you.

Terri
Last question before my 12 week test, which I'll be taking to report back the results to close the loop on all of this!

Over the past month+ I've intermittenly had numbness in my right toes when seated or standing and in my upper/mid back when seated or standing. Additionally, some nights my muscles in my legs/butt/calves twitch quite a bit. In your years of experience, have you ever seen these symptoms related to genital herpes?

Seriously, thank you so much for all of your help, Terri! You and the rest of this organization provide a wonderful service.
No, I don't think the muscle twitching has anything to do with herpes.

Terri
Any recommendations on the type of doctor I should see regarding these muscle problems? Not sure if a neurologist would be the best person to follow up with considering the fact that I've also now got another, what appears to be fungal infection (this time in my armpit). I guess I'm concerned about diabetes (although I'm in shape still). HIV tests have all always been negative...I'm so confused.
A neurologist would be a place to start, yes.  But you could probably also see an internist and have them help you sort it out as well.

Terri
Well, got my 12 week (11 weeks 5 days but whose counting?) test back and everything is negative (including all other STDs). Also saw a neurologist and he's having me take some blood tests for Lyme, B12 def., thyroid issues, etc. as well as having me take an MRI so hopefully we'll narrow in on the root of some of these issues. Thanks for all your help Terri!
You are most welcome.  I'll be crossing my fingers for a great outcome for you.

Terri