Herpes Expert Forum
Never had symptoms

Welcome to the Herpes forum. This forum is for questions and support pertaining to herpes simplex virus infections (HSV-1 and 2) and herpes zoster (shingles) and the virus that causes it, varicella zoster virus. Questions about genital herpes are welcome both here and on the STD Forum.

Never had symptoms

About 6 years ago I tested positive on a specific blood test for antibodies of genital herpes.  I have never had an outbreak or any symptoms. I recently met a guy that has had genital herpes for 16 years.  He takes meds when he feels an outbreak and didn't have sex with his wife when he felt one comig.   His wife is now deceased.  He wore a condom for the 1st 4 years with her and he did not wear one for 10 years and his wife didn't get herpes.  My question is if I started having sex with him using a condom or without one, what are the chances of me starting to have outbreaks?  I also know herpes can be transmitted from skin not covered by a condom.    I had unprotected sex before we met about 5 times and have never given herpes to anyone.
good question, but it doesn't work that way, exactly.  Once you have herpes, you don't get it again or start having outbreaks if you didn't before (at least not that we've heard of). since that is the case, we don't recommend the use of condoms in couples where both are infected with the same type of herpes (ie. HSV 1 or HSV 2).  However, having said that, I would love to see you confirm your HSV 2 status with another antibody test.  six years ago, it turns out that the test was giving quite a few false positives to some people with a particular protein in the blood.  the test was revised to largely eliminate that problem. but if you've never had an outbreak of HSV 2 genitally, that is not very common, and I think you should be absolutely certain that you really are infected with HSV 2.  that means you need a type specific antibody test for HSV 2, and to avoid the need for confirmation, the result should be greater than 3.5.  what you want is a type specific antibody test, Igg only, no Igm.  

terri