Herpes Community
New boyfriend of 5months and 1st outbreak.. Is it herpes?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

My boyfriend of 5 months recently (4 weeks ago) vacationed in Peru. I just noticed painful blister in my rectum since his return. Blisters developed after a flu ( high fever, muscle aches)last week that lasted only 48hrs. 2 days later the painful blisters developed and groin lymph nodes became swollen. I saw my doctor right away and she said it "clinically" looked like herpes but because I have issues w/ hemorroids (hemorrhoids) she wasn't sure. She sent a culture to the lab and blood work for igg. I asked my boyfriend if he has herpes but of course he answered "no" and said he hasn't been with anyone besides me in the last 5 months and prior to me it was his ex girlfriend of 1 year. I can't stop wondering what couldve happened in Peru or if my boyfriend is a silent carrier of the virus, if he is a silent carrier would it have taken this long 4-5months to develop my 1st outbreak? Since I went to the doctor my boyfriend decided to get bloodwork as well, if he is a silent carrier will his blood test come back positive? And what are the chances this is NOT a herpes outbreak I'm having?  
At this point waiting for both of your blood test results are the best you can do.  if either of you had herpes prior to meeting each other and never knew it, it will be reflected in the blood tests you take.

if you get a hsv2+ lesion culture, negative hsv2 igg test and bf's hsv2 igg is negative too, I encourage you both to repeat the blood tests in another 2 months. If he contracted hsv2 a  month ago, it might not show up on his blood tests for a few weeks/months.

grace
I was under the impression that the virus only stays incubated for up to 26 days at the very most. Which puts me right at the date of my bf's return from vacation. Is it possible that it stays incubated for months/years?
Not typically when dealing with the initial outbreak.  The timeline is about 2-10 days but can be up to 20 days.  So in your case while it may fit the return it may not be Herpes.  

Like grace said you just have to wait at this point for results.  While I know this isn't what you want to hear we can speculate all day long but the real answers will come with time.  

Hard to do but u r right! Thanks!