Herpes Community
Newly Infected

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Newly Infected

My boyfriend had a small fever blister on his lip and has apparently been getting them for years.  After a weekend of passion (mostly with him entering me from behind) I started getting a tingling sensation on my buttock which I initially ignored since I get boils.  Two days latter it became a herpes lesion as diagnosed by culture.  I had not been in a relation nor had sex with anyone in two years and had never experienced any type of breakout such as this.  My boyfriend was tested and sure enough he has HV1 and his doctor told his this was most likely transferred from him.  He indicated he had been messing with the fevew blister and did in fact materbate while he was out of town.  So does this mean I have HV1 since that is what he has?  My doctor indicated it looked like cross contamination so I am assuming that is what she meant.  
Your outbreak sounds unusual for a primary episode. Lesions in a primary outbreak don't typically form on the buttock, and you would usually have more than one, accompanied by other symptoms (fever, flu-like symptoms, etc).

If the lesion was swabbed, are you certain that it wasn't typed? That's standard procedure. If it wasn't typed, you'll need to have bloodwork done in about 3 months to ascertain what type you have.
Unfortunately the test does not indicate what type it is only that it is Herpes Simplex.  When my boyfriend got checked the doctor said it was probably cross contamination and my doctor basically said the same time. When my boyfriend was tested he only had HV1 so I assume I have the same?  Do you think it is too early to take a blood test?  My boyfriend is thinking of having his test retaken and I just took one today.
indeed newly acquired infections can present on the butt. not unusual at all.

at this point, you need to seek out a type specific herpes igg blood test yourself to see what your status is. do you know if you were ever tested for it before this? also if it's been only a few weeks since your lesion culture, ask your doctor to call the lab, see if they have the specimen and type it. your clinic needs to get into the habit of always ordering lesion culture typed. it's just a few dollars extra and saves folks a lot of extra trouble and money down the road!!

grace
I've seen Dr Hook or Handsfield comment more than once in the STDs forum that they have never seen a primary OB on the buttocks in more than 30 years of practice, and I believe you have commented in the past that primary OBs show up in the place of infection since the virus has to be "massaged" into the skin in order to become infected. I don't mean to challenge your answer, but I'm confused. Can you provide some clarity on what you mean when you say that new infection on the buttocks is "not at all uncommon"?
I am HV2.. IGG number is 2.3! I am really confused because I have been extremely stressed in previous months with no out breaks and it wasn't until I got with my boyfriend after he had a active fever blister so I was convinced it was HV1 instead of HV2 especially since i had not been in relationship for two years!  What does a low IGG number mean? Nurse said some folks have very high numbers.
What was your HSV-1 result?

Your score is in the low-positive range (below 3.5), but considering you had a positive lesion culture, I'm not sure that confirmatory testing would be necessary. If the lesion recurs, you'd certainly want to get it swabbed and type-tested just to be certain.
HSV1 was 0.58 so it was negative!
were you ever tested for herpes before to know your status?
Yes it was negative two years ago!
at this point you'll need to wait 4 months after you last had sex prior to your symptoms starting and seek out a herpes WB blood test to confirm your status.  should you get a return of symptoms, being seen again promptly and getting another lesion culture and insisting they type it would also confirm your status.  did you ask your provider to call to see if they still had your prior lesion culture to type?
My doctor said I would have to wait because the lab would not have it. I think she was probably sick of all the questions do thank you for your patience!
you could call the lab yourself if you know which lab they use. they usually keep them frozen for a few weeks before they get rid of them.
Have a Herpes question?
100,000+ doctor answers