Herpes Community
No symptoms or outbreaks-false positive?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

I have just received results back from a type specific HSV test (IgG - EIA) for type 1 and type 2 herpes and I am unsure whether or not it is correct as I have never had any symptoms or an outbreak of any kind that can confirm it to me. My results were: HSV 1: 1.4 and HSV 2: 2.9.   My boyfriend however tested Negative  8.0 for Type 2 (he got tested when he had some bumps on his penis he believed were from a razor cut and ingrowns).

The issue I am facing is that I haven't had any lesions but I was on antibiotics because of bronchitis at the time he had the "outbreak" and I normally get yeast infections when on that particular medication which is what I had and stayed with me for almost a week until I took a dose of Diflucan which cured it right away. It was irritating and it felt like some sort of small rash that was spread in the area but nothing other than that. I have never had a cold core of any kind on my lips and have never kissed or shared cups with anyone at all because I have always been weary of contracting anything. I admit I am a little bit of a germaphobe.

These are my questions:
1) Can my results be a false-positive? Is there another type specific test to give me a confirmed result?
2) If I have Type 1 and he doesn't how has he never gotten it as we have been in a relationship for 3 years
3) How does this affect our sex life? Oral and Genital?
4) How contagious can Type 1 be if you have children and are affectionate
5) Can Type 2 transfer to his mouth through Oral Sex if I in fact have it?
6) What are the suppressive meds I have read about and what are any side effects?
7) I have read that a change in lifestyle help; vitamins, sleep, etc. Can I get more specifics

I have a lot more as it seems all gynos pass it off as something normal and not life threatening but I am from a culture that is very conservative and like to be healthy so I would like to better understand the disease.

Thank you and I would appreciate any help.
just to clarify - your bf tested with a hsv2 igg of 8?  so you know he has hsv2 but are wondering if your own hsv2 igg is a false positive?  

You aren't in the US so I'm not aware of what your options are for confirming your low positive status. You'll need to try to find a herpes support group in your country to see what options you have for doing so.  

if you both have hsv2, it won't be an issue in your relationship.

grace