Herpes Community
Non-genital HSV outbreaks?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Non-genital HSV outbreaks?

Hi Terri,

Can you help me understand how non-genital HSV outbreaks happen?

I ask because I was dx with herpes 6 years ago after my boyfriend performed oral and then got a cold sore the next day. I promptly transmitted it back to him. My initial outbreak was tiny (3 bumps) and I have not had one since. I also have never transmitted it to another partner since then, at least that I know of. Recently, I had a partner who became worried about my disclosure after we had sex. 2 days latter he claimed he got an outbreak about a quarter of the way down his inner thigh and no where else. I did not have an outbreak at the time and am wondering if it is possible that I actually gave him HSV?  He had a gen MD look at it and say it was HSV but they did not test it and I have heard it is easily misdiagnosed.

If I it is possible to transmit it without an outbreak to someone's thigh how can I better protect my partners?
this isn't Terri's forum - you have to pay to post there. Your questions you asked in someone else's post on her forum will not be answered by her either. You have to pay and start your own post on her forum to get her reply.

your current partner needs to seek out type specific herpes igg blood testing to know his own status.  The provider who only visually diagnosed him as having herpes erred greatly.

how were you diagnosed as having herpes? what testing was done for you?

grace