Herpes Community
Non-sexual Exposure to Herpes Type 2?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Non-sexual Exposure to Herpes Type 2?

Dr HHH,

I'm hoping you could shed some light.  I had posted earlier and hope you could help me answer some additional questions.  Sorry to be repeating, I am just confused and concerned.

I have never had sex (intercourse or oral) before.  I am seeing someone and we decided to get STI screenings before having sex.  All my tests came back negative except for Herpes Type 2. The test performed was the HSV 1-2 IGG HERPESELECT AB and the test result was 1.83.  

My OB/GYN could not explain the reason and recommended that I get a retest in a month's time.  The doctor also said that the antibody detected by the test was an old one but couldn't say from how long ago. Through my online searches, I could not find any other cause of exposure other than through sex (genital-gential, oral-genital).  I've had online responses that since I have never had sex, this could highly be a false positive.

My questions are:
1. Are there other ways of being exposed to herpes other than sex (oral / intercourse)?
2. How do you interpret a test result of 1.83?  I've read elsewhere and a member mentioned that this result is within the range where false positives occur regularly.  Could this be the case?
3. What test would you recommend for a retest?
4. Is there a waiting time before I get a retest?  My OB/GYN recommended waiting about a month) - is there a reason for him recommending this?

Thanks for your help.

worried_01
this is not HHH's forum. this is the general herpes forum that you already posted this on.

YOu have to pay to post on the std experts forum.

grace
Thanks Grace, sorry about that.