Herpes Community
Non-visual herpes symptoms for 2 months

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Non-visual herpes symptoms for 2 months

Hey everyone,

I have been experiencing off and on tingling, burning itching in my genitals, buttocks and anus for almost 8 weeks now. My iguinal lymph nodes also ache but they are not swollen. I sometimes also get brief, stinging sensations in other parts of my body.

I've been examined by doctors on Day 6, Day 11, Day 12, Day 14, Day 15, Day 21 and Day 28. All of them were fairly emphatic that I didn't have herpes. And, obviously I have been examining myself and have not been able to find any obvious herpes blisters.

I did a test at 8 weeks but the lab strangely did not do a type-specific serology on the IGG. It came back positive, which is no surprise because I had cold sores as a child. Now I have to go get blood drawn again and apparently have my GP adamantly request the type-specific test.

Do my symptoms sound anything like herpes? I was also convinced that I had HIV (tested negative 3 times) so I am starting to feel like the boy who cried wolf. I am hoping that I am as crazy as I sound and all these sensations are somehow psychological. Just looking for some guidance while I have to wait another 7 to 10 days for a new test to come back. It was devastating to wait and wait for the results and then receive essentially a non-result.

Here is the link to my previous interaction with Dr. Hook if anyone is really bored. Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/STDs/Terrifed-that-I-have-herpes/show/1281364?personal_page_id=1604687#post_5872992
I have the same symptoms and REALLY hope it's all psychological.

Waiting to hear back from my 6-week blood test sometime next week, the waiting is killing me.

Here's Dr.HHH's analysis on my symptoms/concerns as well.
http://www.medhelp.org/posts/STDs/herpes--systemic-symptoms/show/1315334?personal_page_id=1687903

I also get the muscle twitching, leg and groin achiness as well along with the occasional tingling in my penis as well. Reading other member's postings about not having the obvious lesions but testing positive has worried me a great deal.
it's up to your provider to order the proper test. either your provider didn't order the right test from the lab or if they just said herpes testing, someone in their clinic didn't know what to order.  If you live in the US, find out which lab your provider uses, odds are I can tell you the exact test number they want to order for you.  

Probably 99% of folks who come here convinced that they have herpes without obvious lesions, end up not having it.  Anxiety can really do a number on you.  

grace
Although I completely agree that the majority of the people that come in here convinced we are infected may not be, what are your thoughts about the 80-90% of the people who are infected but aren't aware because their symptoms are so minor? Had the woman I was with not disclose her condition, herpes would have never crossed my mind as to why these other systemic systems arose (low back aches, fatigue, muscle twitching/spasms, unusual sensations in the groin). It's quite possible had I just gone on with my life without researching how variable the symptoms Herpes is, I would have never pursued blood testing and could potentially be one of those 80-90% unaware of their condition.
even people with relatively minor symptoms don't have constant symptoms like some folks post here about.  

grace
Hey Grace

Thanks so much for your reply. It's kind of an odd situation for people like coffeetea and myself because we are lacking a "differential diagnosis' for the problems that we are having (or maybe the real problem is lay people using terms like "differential diagnosis").

Would the sensations stop if we received a conclusively negative blood test? Could we be part of a small percentage of people with genital herpes who don't get sores but have constant non-visual symptoms? Psychosomatic or real? Honestly, right now it feels like having non-stop hiccups. Literally going mad.

Anyway - thanks very much for your thoughts.
there certainly is a lot of genitally focused anxiety as HHH calls it going on for many folks. It really can do a number on you if you let it.

also lots of viral illnesses out there that we generally do not test for. they need to run their course since we don't have medications for most viruses.  

sometimes a topical anesthetic is helpful too. Numbs the skin so you get a break from symptoms. helps you break the pain cycle sometimes.

grace

This is unreal and my symptoms almost to a t, have u guys gotten an answer for what this is?