Herpes Expert Forum
Odd question

Welcome to the Herpes forum. This forum is for questions and support pertaining to herpes simplex virus infections (HSV-1 and 2) and herpes zoster (shingles) and the virus that causes it, varicella zoster virus. Questions about genital herpes are welcome both here and on the STD Forum.

Odd question
Sorry to post such an odd question, but my nerves got the better of me.  I had a red bump checked out on my lip that I suspect was just an inflamed blackhead, but after reading a bit online my doctor did a PCR swab for HSV just to make sure.  I noticed when they swabbed my lip the tip of the swab turned faintly red... and I later realized it was from my lips being stained from eating lunch earlier. (I had tomato sauce)  I worried that maybe that would effect the test... is that possible?  Again I know it's a strange question but I want to know if everything is ok.
No, tomato sauce would not impact a herpes PCR swab at all.  Are you sure it wasn't blood?

Terri
Yes it definitely wasn't blood.  It was something I ate just prior to going to the doctors office...  Either residual wing sauce or tomato sauce.  Neither would be a problem right?  I know it's a silly question but I imagine it could be important.  Thank you for helping me.
None of that would interfere at all with testing.

Terri