Herpes Community
Odds of transmitting

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Odds of transmitting

Hi I am 26 year old female with hsv2 , I have had it for 7 years and currently do not suffer outbreaks but occasionally get pain in back of my leg

I would like to know the odds of transmitting to non hsv male

1.  If we use protection
2. If I go on suppressive therapy

3 . Can lubrication/ spermicides ect lower the risk ?

The internet of full of misleading information can someone tell me the actual proven odds  so I can show my partner

Thankyou x
These figures are averages, individuals vary considerably.

If you're very good at identifying signs of a potential outbreaks and avoid sex at these times, there is a 4-5% chance after a year of sex of you infecting a male partner. This is about 100 episodes of sex!

Antivirals will halve this chance, maybe more with strict observance to taking them daily.

Condoms offer a 30-50% reduction in transmission odds.

Hence with both you are looking at 1-1.5% chance say. The odds might be a little higher for the first year or so. (Not because of you, but him).

If you only take one measure, the antivirals are much better in transmission terms.