Herpes Expert Forum
On Going Herpes Symptoms?

Welcome to the Herpes forum. This forum is for questions and support pertaining to herpes simplex virus infections (HSV-1 and 2) and herpes zoster (shingles) and the virus that causes it, varicella zoster virus. Questions about genital herpes are welcome both here and on the STD Forum.

On Going Herpes Symptoms?

This question is for Ms Warren,

You are an expert and I am hoping you can help.

I have been to several urologists and my dermatologist as well as my GP. In Nov of 2011 I developed two pupple marks on each side of the glands on my penis. Blue like a bruise. I saw my Urologist and dermatologist. I was put on Cypro. I was also tested for all STD's. Only HSV1 positive. In January I had a burning sensation on glands of penis and it became red an enflamed this was after swimming in the ocean and a hottub on a cruise. At this time the burning was severe, the red glands were severerly red and I had to urinate every 5 min or so. This lasted most of the night. When I retumed I saw my GP. I had another round of STD tests all negative except HSV1. I had no blisters or sores however the glands of my penis were still red. She said she had worked in a Herpes clinic and it was herpes. I have been through several more testing sessions all negative except HSV1. I have also had cultures done for HSV 1 and 2 from my penis glands, and the surrounding area. Thes came back negative. To make a long story short. After many visits to GP, urologist and dermatologist my scrtoum and the glands of my penins are stiil red, The two purple marks are still there and the purple color now surrounds the gland of penis. I have had no itching in these areas. I have had no blisters. The urologists and my dermatologists both are convinced its not Gential (genital) HSV1 however this was my GP's diagnosis based on visiual inspection, HSV test and symptoms however this is now almost 1 year later and the condition and symptoms continue only the burning is rare.

I live on the east coast. Can I consult with you over the phone? I am happy to pay for the visits?

As you can imagine, I am very furstrated and really don't know where to go from here. Could these symptoms last this long from HSV1? What are my next steps.

Your thoughts please
I would totally and completely agree that these symptoms are NOT related to HSV 1.  Not at all.  Anything that stays around for a long time like this is  extremely unlikely to be related to herpes.  And by the way, many men have purple spots around the coronal ridge (the area you are describing).  

You can certainly make an appointment to talk with my on the phone, but I doubt that I will have anything additional to add.

56% of the US population has HSV 1 infection.  Most of it is likely oral though some genital.  I'm assuming you've never had a cold sore on your lip?

Terri
Terri,

Thank you for your reply regarding my post "On Going Herpes Symptoms" Around the same time last year I did have some sores inside my mouth not on lips. I have never had any outside my lip and the first time I ever noticed any mouth sores was about Nov, Dec last year.

I guess I am wondering how I can be sure that I have or do not have Gential (genital) Herpes. Do you have suggestions?

Also, just one clarification. When you said the symptoms are not related I know you meant the on going ones. How about the initial symptoms? How do you feel about those.

Thanks again. I really appreciate the advice.

Thank you

Herpes can appear inside the mouth, but mostly not, mostly those are canker sores which are not caused by herpes.  

The initial symptoms are also unlikely to be related to herpes.  Herpes does not appear as a bruise.

Terri