Herpes Expert Forum
One time encounter with HSV-2 positive female

Welcome to the Herpes forum. This forum is for questions and support pertaining to herpes simplex virus infections (HSV-1 and 2) and herpes zoster (shingles) and the virus that causes it, varicella zoster virus. Questions about genital herpes are welcome both here and on the STD Forum.

5 days ago I had a sexual encounter with a female friend. We were drunk at the time. She informed me that she was diagnosed with HSV-2 9 years ago. She said she has not had an outbreak in the last 2 years, and that she has had previously a 2 year relationship and did not transmit the virus to her partner.
Being drunk and uneducated, I thought it would be okay to have protected sex. Before the condom was on, there was some light genital to genital rubbing. (not hard grinding) Once the condom was on, there was more genital to genital rubbing, (perhaps harder). I can not recall how much contact there was outside of where the condom was covering. After a few minutes of this I decided not to have sex with her.
Once I found out that Herpes can be spread through one small moment of skin-to-skin contact, I was scared (because the virus can be spread even when she isn't having an outbreak), and angry (most of all because she waited until we were drunk and already messing around before she told me anything)

We talked the next day, and she said that I have nothing to worry about...but naturally, I have now become a master  of herpes (read every website, study, pamphlet, forum...etc) mostly to educate myself, but also to find out just how risky this encounter was.

I understand the risk of catching Herpes from a single encounter of 1/2 unprotected 1/2 protected frottage when there was not a visible outbreak is low but not zero. It sounds like it's more about being lucky vs. unlucky. However, I have some questions that maybe you can help me with.

1) How risky in your expert opinion was this encounter?
2) She started her period 3 days later, does that increase the chance that there was asymptomatic shedding happening?
3) Should I get tested/wait to have sex with others until then?
4) Does having the virus for 9 years and no outbreaks for 2 mean it's less likely she was shedding?

I have had itching for the past 2 days but nothing else so far...Thank you for your time!

Very very low amount of riskiness

No, it does not impact the amount of shedding that happens

Have you ever been tested for herpes to know that you are not infected already?  It might be good to get a baseline test now (Ig
g only).  If you are negative and still this worried, you could repeat the test.  But without any symptoms, I really think you should live life normally.
Yes, it does means she is shedding less than someone who is recently infected and has frequent outbreaks.  

Honestly, I think your chances of infection in this situation are very low indeed.

Terri