Herpes Community
Only one partner has HSV 1 how can we maintain a healthy sex life?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Hello All-

My partner showed Igg antibodies for HSV 1 (I believe it was 1.18). He has never ever had an outbreak that he can recall not even during childhood.

I would like to know what steps can we take to be sexual safe and healthy?

Can we still engage in oral sex?

How will he be able to identify if he is having an outbreak when he has never had one?

What is the likelihood of me getting HSV 1 genitally?

I would really appreciate the advice. Especially from those how are in the same situation. I love my boyfriend unconditional and I just want us to have a normal healthy sex life.

Thank you all for your advice
Well after being diagnosed with hsv1 by blood test I have decided never to go down on my boyfriend again, I don't want to have any risk of him getting it genitally especially since he has never had symptoms of cold sores!!
You prolly should get tested, if you are neg then maybe refraining from oral sex is best, unless you are ok with a very low risk of getting it genitally.
Me on the other hand want zero risk of giving it to my bf! So that's why I decided to never have oral again. My bf is fine with it since he doesn't want even that little risk as well.
Normal sex life is still normal, just minus the oral sex!
have you been tested to know your own status?

your bf's hsv1 igg is a very low positive. It might not even be a true positive. If you are really concerned, he can seek out a herpes WB to confirm his hsv1 status.
grace
Thanks.

Yes I was tested for both HSV 1 and 2. The first test gave me a 1.7 Igm so I my bf and I waited about 6 weeks and both went in to get tested for HSV 1 and 2. On my second test all returned negative HSV Igm and Igg. But my bf came back with a positive 1.18 Igg for HSV 1. However, he has never had a cold sore not even as a child. He did tell me that he gets canker sores every once in a blue moon on his gums.  

Just to give you some history I was tested originally because I went to the ENT complaining of a sore tongue and I have an inflamed taste bud. Two months later I still have the inflamed taste bud with tongue and ear pain. Also I now have thrush that I can't get rid of.
Thanks.

Also I know this may sound crazy but the hair on my tongue seems to be growing. It is white sometimes yellow/orange and fury like when mold grows on something