Herpes Community
Oral HSV II

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Oral HSV II

I am 20 years old male.

About six months ago I had unprotected oral sex, with new female partner, and while condom was used for genital sex, there was a brief sexual contact without protection.
About week later, blister developed on my lower lip and I also had sore throat that gradually progressed to unbearable. My partner denied having any STDs and due to the extensively sore throat, I self-diagnosed the illness as crank sore. Upon visiting doctor, I have been successfully treated for viral throat infection.

Two weeks ago, small single non-harmful looking blister developed on my lower lip, again with throat pain, and I got blood tested for HSV I and II with following results:

HSV-1 aB IgG    <0.90 negative
HSV-2 aB IgG     6.46 H         positive

Seems like I have won the oral HSV II lotery.

Is there change I might also have genital HSV II with no prior symptoms and is there way to be tested if no symptoms develop?
Because of supposed very low HSV II oral shedding, should I be concerned about transmitting oral HSV II to new partners through kissing or oral sex, when no symptoms are present?
Given you have a diagnosis of HSV2, you should inform this partner and suggest they test. Her result won't prove anything in particular though.

It remains more likely you have an asymptomatic genital infection than an oral one, but the oral infection cannot be eliminated as a possibility, particularly as there is the suspicion of a cold sore.

Swabbing an active sore as soon as you can after it appears is really the best thing you can do to ascertain location and hence risks, they differ markedly as you know.

If it is an oral infection, then the average amount of shedding is as little as 3 to 5 days a year. Giving oral is not a great transmission mechanism but it does happen with HSV1 as you know. Only you can decide what is alright for you in terms of disclosure and measures you take.