Oral Herpes/ Laser Treatment
I've had Oral Herpes all of my life. A lesion develops, looking like an irritated pimple on my lip somewhere, every other month or so, and slowly fades away in 7-14 days. I am take Valtrex during breakouts and also apply topical Zovirax.

Here is the question/scenario.

Over two months ago I had a breakout. Still to this day (almost 10 weeks later) the spot on my lip is not totally healed. And I am not stressing over a small trace of it, there is still visible, noticeable redness that resembles the sore itself where I first broke out.

I have seen two dermatoligists. We've tried everything. Steroid creams to stimulate growth, hydrocortizone to combat redness, benzacline, retinamicro, the list goes on, and on.

One Dr says he would like to try to freeze the spot with liquid nitrogen.

The other rebukes that idea since it isn't a wart, and wants to use a pdl laser (pulse dye laser) to treat the spot.

Does anyone out there have any thoughts on these somewhat extreme measures to try to treat a cold sore that just won't go away? The two skin doctors I have seen have vastly different ideas and that scares me to try either when each says the other is wrong. Both have the potential to have negative skin reactions and side affects, but the thought of living with this lesion indefinitely seems unbearable.

Any thoughts or past experiences with either treatment relative to cold sores would be extremely helpful, from patients, dr.s or anyone.

Thank you all.
I wonder if what you've been experiencing is even oral herpes?  once this current lesion is healed, when you get the next one, no antivirals, no topicals, be seen that day for a lesion culture to see if this "pimple" is oral herpes even.  

this isn't something to be frozen with nitrogen with. the laser certainly won't hurt if you feel that this spot is big enough to be this concerned about.  

we don't have perfectly smooth skin. we have lumps, bumps, red areas and multiple imperfections. Only paid models in magazines have perfectly airbrushed skin :)

grace