Herpes Community
Oral sex and genital HSV1

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Oral sex and genital HSV1

Okay, so my current partner and I are trying to figure out how to work out our sex life. This is hovering over my head. I have genital HSV1. He does not have HSV1 or 2. He says that he has never had a cold sore on his mouth. No herpes ever.

I know that the risk of transmitting HSV1 to him genitally is pretty low because HSV1 prefers to stay at the mouth. I do know that it is possible though. But since HSV1's preferred site is the mouth, does that mean that it is inevitable that he will catch it from me if he gives me oral sex?

Thank you : )
Has he ever been tested for herpes?  If he hasn't and has no recollection of ever having a cold sore, his chances of having herpes are roughly just about the same as that of the whole population.  80% of people with either HSV1 or HSV2 have no knowledge that they have ever had it.
He has never had it. Or so he thinks. I know that so many people have it out there on their mouths. A lot of them don't know it. But he says that he's never had a cold sore or any experience with herpes. So, that just makes me wonder about transmitting it to his mouth if he were to go down there.
he needs tested to know his status. assuming no symptoms means no infection isn't accurate.

your hsv1 genital infection won't shed very often. about 3% of days on average. You can transmit it to a partner but odds are that you won't if you avoid sex anytime you have any genital symptoms going on. he  isn't more likely to contract it orally from performing oral sex on you just because hsv1 prefers the oral area either.  

Unless you get obvious cold sores to know that you have hsv1 orally, no way to know if you also contracted it orally or not.  discuss if it's worth protected oral sex , both giving and receiving for both of you.

grace
Thanks for the information : ) It's nice to know something about it. A doctor once told me that they are exactly the same. HSV 1 and 2. And that transmission is the same as well. But they are different and the differences are very intricate.
yeah they are the same but different especially when it comes to odds of recurrences and shedding.

grace