Herpes Expert Forum
Oral sex transmission question

Welcome to the Herpes forum. This forum is for questions and support pertaining to herpes simplex virus infections (HSV-1 and 2) and herpes zoster (shingles) and the virus that causes it, varicella zoster virus. Questions about genital herpes are welcome both here and on the STD Forum.

Oral sex transmission question

Hi everyone,
I hope you all are doing well. I have a quick question about potential transmission from a cold sore via oral sex. Last night my boyfriend performed oral sex on me (I'm female) for 5-10 minutes and when we woke up this morning I noticed he had what looked like a zit (or maybe cold sore?) on his lip. We have talked about cold sores before because I am pretty paranoid about this stuff and he told me he thinks he gets them every couple of years, but he is never sure if they are really cold sores or just patches of dry skin that he gets in other parts of his body as well. He told me he does not think the current zit or whatever it is on his lip is a cold sore.
Other possible pertinent info- I had not shaved super recently, a few days ago maybe (as far as I understand recently shaving can create tiny nicks in the skin allowing the infection to pass more easily) and I have been getting cold sores on my mouth for about 10 years now (I know this is supposed to confer some measure of immunity).
How worried do you think I should be?
Any help would be appreciated! Thanks
Has your boyfriend actually been tested to determine if he has HSV 1 and have you?  If not, it's a little hard to answer your question with any accuracy.  I would recommend this since you seem to be concerned about this particular mode of transmission (which is reasonable).  

If we assume for a moment that he has HSV 1 orally and you do not, then you are vulnerable to infection and people can shed virus around the time of outbreaks or even in between outbreaks.  

I would recommend that you observe carefully for any symptoms that might develop in the next 10 days and consider testing to clarify both of your herpes status so you dealing with facts and not fears.

Terri
Dear Terri,
He has not been tested but has a history of cold sores. I myself have been getting them since my early teens (I am 28 now). Does that change anything?
That is to say, I have not had a blood test (uncommon to do in Canada) but had the cold sores visually diagnosed by a nurse, with typically a couple of outbreaks a year that consists of one sore in the corner of my mouth, preceding by tingling and pain in the area.
It sounds like have both had cold sores.  If that is indeed true, then getting it genitally is a remote chance since you already have the virus and your immune system will likely keep you from getting it in a new location on your body.

Terri
Hi Terri,
Thanks for your response. I am on Day 7 or 8 post-exposure right now and have been dealing with some on and off itching symptoms. If I may describe, it is kind of a generalized itch on my vulva and anal area as well. I have not noticed any redness or raised areas, and I have been diligently looking with a hand mirror 2-3 times per day as I know I am in the period where one is most likely to develop symptoms.
I have had a little bit of what feels like muscle soreness on one side of my vulva, but that went away within a few hours.
I have had all these symptoms before, related to yeast infections usually, so I am not sure if it is just me being on hyper-alert or whether this is something I should go to the walk-in clinic for tomorrow. I read in passing somewhere on this board that mild cases of herpes can resemble yeast infections (?)
Thanks!
I don't think this is something that you need to be seen for, no.

Terri