Herpes Community
Oral sex with partner when you have HSV2

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

can I transmit oral sex by giving oral sex to a partner if I am HSV2 +? I have had it for 10 yrs. but have only been with the partner that gave it to me. We have not had sex for over a year, and I have been twice with a new partner with protected sex (with condom for penetration) but I am unclear as to where this virus is contained, my vaginal secretions, any secretions, including saliva (mouth) or just genitals (which so far have been external). I noticed even without having sex with anyone that if I had secretions, I developed herpes on labial. I told the new partner but I have not engaged in sex because I could not think about passing this on with no cure. I always inform whereas I was not given the same courtesy. Never discussed this in details with my dr. because I was with the one who gave it to me until he died (unrelated to this) in 2009. After giving oral sex the first time, I had a cold sore develop on my lip. I began treatment and put on cream also and it went away. I wanted to kiss so bad but did not want to pass anything on.  And what is this other place I read about? West....??? I've tried to read others to answer my questions but could not figure it out. So I joined to be able to ask and get your great help and medical info. Thank you for your response.
I think you are asking about the free herpes handbook at www.westoverheights.com ?  

you can transmit hsv2 to the oral area of a partner but the risk of such is fairly low.  

have you considered taking daily suppressive therapy to lower the risk of transmitting the virus to your partner?

has your new partner had herpes blood testing to see what their status is?

grace

grace
When I had the cold sore on my lip, I took acyclovir (200 mg) 5 X a day for 5 days and used the acyclovir cream on my lip, which I usually use only this when I feel one developing on my labial (the other lips). After our first encounter.

I was going to try Valtrex but insurance would not cover it back home. I am in Mexico, so I pay for all my medicine. Is acyclovir a daily suppressive therapy? The pharmacy here just gave me what I asked for and I have not had a prescription for a long time from back in USA. I usually go home every summer and have blood work and tests run. I chose this MedHelp because I don't know how to get in touch with my primary USA physician without being put on hold and transferred all over the place...or he would gladly assist.

What would you recommend? I do not want blood drawn here nor do I have a real physician here just one of those consultation places with pharmacy.

No, my new partner is not concerned, it seems and few have tests done like I do. I'm not even sure where because all lab work is not done at the dr. office. I'm sure their sexual education is not that great, nor do they follow up or think they should afford checking.
Should I ask this partner to do this?

What about kissing? Mouth to mouth.

So fellatio and cunnilingus is low risk? How would you do it with a female...with saran wrap? Clearly a condom is the male safety for both oral and coitus.

Thank you for your quick assistance! That was really great!

Sorry that I missed addressing TO in my above answers, comment and questions.

Reading over at the other site and I guess I handle it this way.
Episodic therapy (taking of medication with outbreaks only)

But like I said at first, I thought my sex life was over. I did not want to pass on anything that has no cure, only meds to relieve the symptoms.

Did you tell me how I had outbreaks when I was without a partner? I found that strange. Was it due to STRESS??? Since I can't see there very well, I have to go by feel and I usually can detect in the shower or bath or even wiping when one is forming. I put on the cream and it goes away pretty quickly.

Thanks again! I'm still reading and being enlightened!
the dose for acyclovir for suppressive therapy is 400mg 2x/day every single day.  when you get a recurrence genitally or orally, increase it to 800mg 3x/day for 2 days and then go back to your usually twice daily dose.  

saran wrap is only protective if it's the  non-microwavable kind. I haven't been able to find that on shelves in the US in years.  you can cut open a condom and lay it over your genital area for your partner to perform oral on you if you are concerned.

certainly your partner needs a full std screening if they haven't had one already - protect yourself!
Thanks so much !

I was reading about the difference on the medications but I appreciate your giving me the specifics. So if I do suppressive therapy, I will have less outbreaks and it protects me or/and my partner? Thanks for confirming that any partner should have a std screening. Easier said than done but I'll work on it or give it up.

I was kidding about the saran wrap but thanks for the added wisdom. SO YOU ARE SAYING IF I HAVE NOTHING, no ob, the chances are relatively low? And I do not need to fear and can enjoy oral sex once again. WOW! That alone would make my day.

Have a great weekend and I'll keep reading. Thank you so much!
have gotten a chance to read the herpes handbook yet?  

yes the risk of transmitting hsv2 to your partner's oral area overall is very low. You being on daily suppressive therapy would reduce your ob's you have so less disruptions to your sex life in general plus it reduces viral shedding so less risk of transmitting to a partner in general.  Condoms too reduce their risk even more.  

you should always be asking partners to get full std screenings and share their results with you. It's as much about protecting yourself as it is protecting a partner from your hsv2!
I'm reading the herpes handbook but no I have not read it all. Are saying most of my questions are answered there?

OK, the reason that I started asking questions on Sat. is because I had my second encounter with said partner. And the same thing happened as the first time. That today, just like the first time(Jan. 15) I developed a mouth sore from doing oral sex. As far as I know I did not have any developing (shedding???). I had taken acyclovir as I wrote above... 25 tablets of 200mg. total plus applied the cream because the sore was on the outer lower lip. Now it's developing in the inside of the lower lip.

1) Can I use the acyclovir cream inside the mouth? Can I get an outbreak of HSV2 in my mouth? (yes, I did read that 1st section in handbook) or can he if he had reciprocated?

Partner mentioned that he'd like to reciprocate but knew that I had told him "no" because of herpes (before asking you). Then I kiddingly asked about "saran wrap". I'm still laughing cuz you took me seriously, but I did appreciate the reply. I do not like the taste of Trojans and so far I have not found flavored ones here but I'm sure there are, I just am not sure where or what kind of place I'd have to go to in order to get that kind. Marmalade was suggested but I think that was just for fun, not protection obviously. (Be nice if it would).
So, oral sex was without condoms, but used condoms for the rest. Ran short the first time but not this time.

Any how, I don't have enough at the moment but I took 2 (200 mg.) this morning and tonight. To try like you suggested suppressive. I have to figure out how much that will cost that way.

2) No kissing was involved.(oh how I missed that) Can either be transmitted kissing? From what I've read, only if you have one or shedding on/in your mouth. I don't think I'd want to then anyway.

So from the outbreak, taking acyclovir... how long does it take to heal plus how long is the shedding? From what I am understanding, it sounds like the shedding is when its transmittable...and we don't know because it may not be visible at that time???

Let's take the last time...Jan. 15th...outbreak 1st or 2nd day after so let's say the 3rd day, I start acyclovir for 5 days...so by the 23rd, I stop taking acyclovir, no more visible symptom. Could it still have been active almost 3 weeks later? Nothing in between this.

I'm sure based on this that suppressive is better than episodic therapy, if I can afford it.
By the time, std screening is done, if agreed to... and we get the results, I should be healed unless further outbreaks develop in other locations. Need to find flavored condoms also before the next encounter.

We shower in between acts also. Anyways, if a condom breaks, then you shower and clean with soap and water, does that help? or too late? You wouldn't think Trojans would break.

3) Do people (like me) have a predisposition to cold sores or mouth sores from HSV1 from oral sex? If I'm using acyclovir as suppressive daily, than does that build up resistance for the outbreak? So then, does that lessen the risk with oral sex BOTH giving and receiving?
After how long of starting the suppressive, will I not have these outbreaks... at least these are on my mouth and I can see and feel them, but it sure wrecks eating alot of things!

Thanks again for the responses! They're the BEST! Going back to the reading at Westover.
maybe I'll figure something out from there...or just get more questions!
We welcome questions.  The handbook is helpful to learning about Herpes and transmission of HSV to partners along with other good pieces of information.  We recommend it because it has such good information and the person who wrote it knows what they are talking about it.

I am coming into your thread a little late.  But I have missed what your status was.  From your thread I am gathering you have HSV-2 Genital.  I am going to answer your questions but put some detail into this as well.  

---

The answer to this is a little confusing because of not knowing clearly your status.  If this was said earlier forgive me I missed it.  From what I gather you have HSV-2.  Let's discuss this in detail.

If you only have HSV-2 and it is Genital (most cases are gential (genital) not oral as we told you before. So I doubt you have oral HSV-2 and bet you have it genitally) then you performing oral sex on your partner is no risk for him to catch your genital HSV-2 infection.  Now this changes if you have HSV-1 and had cold sores in the past.  Then their is a small risk to your partner if you have cold sores(HSV-1) to him catching it.  From what you say here I don't think you have cold sores. But I could be wrong.  The cream isn't for use in your mouth only on the skin.  But I don't think the cream was helpful for combating things to be honest with you.  

Are you sure you have HSV-1 as well?  Or you just assuming that because you have HSV-2 it is in your oral location as well?

Your partner giving you oral sex would be fine and while it does pose a small risk to him just do it when you are not having an outbreak genitally.  That is the best thing to do. There are ways to protect your genital area but for the risk it may not be worth it.  There is a low risk for him catching HSV-2.
--

--

If you have ORAL HSV then yes you can transmit it during kissing.  But if your infection is genital NO you will not transmit this during kissing.  The virus isn't all over your body.  The only thing to worry about is if you have oral HSV.  If you test positive for HSV-1 and HSV-2 then you will need to assume you have it in both locations.  But as long as you avoid kissing during times when you are having a cold sore present and waiting for the skin to return to normal then chances are you have another low risk of transmission.  You are not a walking STD/Biohazard.

--
--

Not knowing if you have oral Herpes makes this question hard to answer.  Yes if you don't have HSV-1 you are able to have HSV-1 transmitted to you.  Valtrex won't stop the virus from taking hold. Valtrex doesn't kill the virus it prevents it from replicating really.  But that doesn't mean it will prevent it from taking hold in the nerves.  Which is where the virus is.

Okay so let's talk Herpes.  It is transmitted via skin to skin contact.  Which is why knowing what you have (HSV-1 and HSV-2) is key in our discussion.  If your infection is genital then your mouth doesn't have herpes.  You could kiss all day long and as long as the person doesn't have HSV then you know that guess what you have no fear of catching herpes.  

Your concern is your genital location.  This is where the virus outbreaks happen and where you will have shedding.  This means if your partner doesn't have HSV-2 and you have skin-to-skin contact while you have an outbreak or during a period of viral shedding (more about this below) then he has a risk of being infected.  For exmaple you have an outbreak you two have sex well he is at risk for catching HSV-2 in the location(s) the contact took place on his body.

The viral shedding has nothing to do with outbreaks.  If you have an active outbreak which we define as you having symptoms (IE: Blisters or what have you for your outbreak) then that is NOT viral shedding.  Viral shedding is when the virus is active on the skin and you have no symptoms.  Now once the skin has healed after an outbreak and has returned then you may resume your sexual activities.  Daily suppressive therapy will reduce the amount of times you will viral shed and decrease some of the outbreak length of time.  Each person is different so best results is for you to find out on your own.

You can shower all day long.  If the virus gets access to the nerve and takes hold it won't stop when you wash the area.  Though we don't have a lot of research on this. But think about it once that virus makes its way down the nerves and does its deal you washing the skin won't get down that nerve pathway.  

no you can't use acyclovir cream inside your mouth. sounds like you have a canker sore, not oral herpes reoccurring  anyways at this point.

we used to recommend saran wrap for barrier protection for oral sex which is why I took your saying it seriously . that was before microwavable was the norm on store shelves. some not so good websites still recommend it so it is asked here regularly.

daily suppressive therapy with acyclovir is under $20/month even without insurance at walmart and similar places. If you have insurance, utilize your benefits by using either mail order to get it cheaper and/or get the  most you can get at a time. Mostly you can order a 3 month supply at a time and it usually saves you money over getting it filled monthly.  If you have insurance and aren't aware of all your benefits for prescriptions - call them and ask :)

Thank you both for the very helpful information you've provided!

Mistakeguy789, I'm not sure about diagnosis. It was over 10 yrs. ago and I had a monogamous relationship with the person who I contracted it from for that time. He passed away in 2009 (not related to this). I have not been with anyone until these two aforementioned occasions with the same person; protected intercourse only; oral sex for him not for me. Yes, I had genital (HSV2?) outbreaks when I had them. But both times after fellatio, I had a sore on my lip *first time outside ** 2nd time inside. But gracefromHHP wrote it sounds like canker sore.(question about this below)

I am out of my country and my primary physician is in USA (as well as records) so it's not so easy to obtain that is why I started on this forum. When I go back to USA I usually have a general overall (overhaul) checkup which includes blood tests for STDs, pap, etc.

So sorry I can't be exact on HSV2 or 1 diagnosis.

Thanks gracefromHPP for the clarifications and continual help! Much appreciated.

My question than is on canker sore:

1)How is a canker sore different from a blister (herpes)? Do you get canker sores from oral sex?

The 1st time, I worried but I was very cautious,but I'm pretty sure the blister on my facial lower lip was a small group of blisters. The one inside my mouth on the same lip is not fully developed and my entire mouth felt tingling and sensitive the day after and then the next day, it started to develop and I began the acyclovir tablets. (2 - 200mg. am and then pm and now I going to get more).

2) is acyclovir the least expensive?

My insurance has some deductible deal now. And since I'm way out of my primary care area, it's 80% - 20% but I will be checking on this, if I begin using it daily as suppressive, instead of only for outbreaks (episodic). I must have done it that way to not have the 365 day expense...(cheap, I guess) but it sounds worth it. I wonder if they would approve it for suppressive (daily). They gave me a hassle over not giving me the cream and the pills. I could only have one and not the other back in my USA state. Maybe they have changed.

People come to Mexico for less expensive medicine but I have not found this to be true.
At least with a new medicine that I had to start this past year for cholesterol. And the 25 tablets of 200 mg. (which means I take 2 for the 400mg. dose) means only 12 times which is 6 days (suppressive) that costs between $6 and $7 with some discount they gave me.
So if you multiply this X 5 (for 30 days) that's $35 a month. I'm going to see if they can get me 400 mg. and also check out Wal Mart's price. (they are usually more expensive on many things because of importation, I think). There is also another less expensive place called Simi Farmacias. I never even thought of mail order because I hardly do anything via snail mail here, very unreliable and regular mail takes over a month to get here.

But thank you so much for giving me an idea of what it should cost!

You both are GREAT volunteers and very helpful and the wait time was not that bad! I'm very grateful!
1. Cankersores do look different then a blister.  I have had the cankersore every now and then when I was giving oral sex to my partner.  Though I don't think we know what causes it.  

2. I can't answer that.  

You can't bring medicine from Mexico across the border.  If you get caught you will have a lot of explaining to do.  I have personally had to deal with this when a friend got some medicine for a cold he was having.  When he crossed over we were the unlucky random check.  We had to empty our pockets and he pulled out his medicine.  Not a good story.  
it's not unusual at all for the "trauma" of performing oral to trigger a recurrence of a canker sore. they are not contagious but they are an open portal into the body so once you have one, don't perform oral again until it's healed.

ask how much it is for a month's worth or more of acyclovir. Usually cheaper the more you get :) Other than that not much I can help you with as far as prices or how to access your health care benefits outside of the US.
Thanks again!

I did a SEARCH here on canker sores and followed other related threads so you were right on. I'm sure that's what it is inside my lip, now...thanks to you and your wise answer.

So from what i read that's about 2 weeks healing time. Thank you for your wisdom and concern not to mess with another open portal. You are really good.

I will also check on if there is a monthly discount. That was a wonderful recommendation!

I did not think or expect help with my insurance but again my last question was between the 3 medications for herpes,

(2) is acyclovir the least expensive?

(sorry to bug you again over something this simple).
In USA, I have to take what my insurance covers but since I'm paying for it here, I guess I can get whatever one is least expensive but takes care of it!

Oh and Mistakeguy789... I do not take my medications from either side back and forth. Mexican prescriptions stay here. I bring my USA prescription with me (the paper from my DR.) or the bottle with it on. I have purchased lots of WalMart over the counter drugs for stuff and bring them here though for colds/flus/diarrhea/allergies. I've not had a problem for 15 yrs. praying I never do...cuz I do not ever want to be in a jail here or anywhere. I try to be legal in everything.

acyclovir has been a generic for longer than the other 2 so usually it's much cheaper in general.