Herpes Community
Outbreak that won't heal, is it herpes or something else?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

I have had herpes for about 4 years. I've only had one other outbreak than what I have now and it went away in about a week. I recently had an outbreak of 1 sore..then it spread into another sore. Now there is no open sores but the whole area is dry,red and extremely itchy. I know this is common for herpes but it's been over a month now since i initially had the sore. It has spread and the whole area is extremly itchy and red...it won't go away. Is this herpes or something else?? And if it is do i just need to give it more time or why hasn't it healed? I'm deployed to Iraq right now so I can't seek medical attention or get any medication. Please help
I'd guess that something else is wrong - maybe jock itch or something.

Don't you have a medical unit there to get medical help when you need it?  I'm guessing many of your fellow soldiers have had jock itch in Iraq too, and would be surprised if they didn't have any antifungal cream there for you.

Stay safe,
Aj