Herpes Community
Over the counter medication

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Over the counter medication

Is there any effective over the counter medication to treat an outbreak?
I've seen grace mention tea tree oil, but if you are talking about oral medication and not topical treatments, then, no, there isn't anything.

Basically, once you have an outbreak, anything OTC is just going to help soothe whatever symptoms you have.

Can you take the suppressive medication? Or don't you want to?
Thank you for the reply. I plan to contact my doctor and start some kind of suppressive medication. I know from the pictures I have genital herpes. I do also know that I will be tested by my doctor to be sure. Maybe 3 times over the last 15 years I have had an outbreak and usually it lasted only a few days and since that time I have not had unprotected sex. This outbreak has been different. It has spread more and has lasted longer. (thus my planned doctor visit) I just want to get over this outbreak and then go in to see him. Yes I do need something just to soothe the symptoms until I can do something long term. Again thank you for all your help..
it would be more useful if you saw your doctor while having symptoms! the more symptoms the easier to get good testing results. good luck