Herpes Community
PCR Blood Test - Help!!

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

PCR Blood Test - Help!!

How is it possible to test positive for Herpes 2 antibodies, and also test negative for Herpes 2 in a PCR blood test? If you have a negative PCR blood test, does that mean the virus is gone? If the virus is gone, does that mean you are not contagious?
PCR blood tests are not used by those familar with testing for herpes. PCR is best for culture swabs only. So it is not reliable. What was the blood test for antibodies that you had and what was the value number.
Why are you saying PCR blood tests are not reliable? I thought they test for the DNA of the actual virus.

Also, the antibodies blood test was IgG and the value said ">8.0 positive" when I took it.

its from a culture swab and 8 is positive reading.
Im not saying its not reliable the medical profession is saying this. PCR is best used with a culture