Herpes Expert Forum
PLEASE HELP INTERPRET TEST RESULTS

Welcome to the Herpes forum. This forum is for questions and support pertaining to herpes simplex virus infections (HSV-1 and 2) and herpes zoster (shingles) and the virus that causes it, varicella zoster virus. Questions about genital herpes are welcome both here and on the STD Forum.

PLEASE HELP INTERPRET TEST RESULTS

I had an unprotected encounter with a girl i've known for years who was married and recently divorced.  She assured me she had been tested for everything and had nothing.  She ended up having a UTI/Yeast infection the next day and I got a bad penile yeast infection 2 weeks later which was diagnosed by a dermatologist.  I had a rash in the groin, no pain, some red bumps and odor etc. No blisters or "herpetic lesions" according to my derm. Here are the results of my tests.  What I am most concerned about is the seroconversion of HSV1. It is six months past encounter and have not had any type of lesions since the initial yeast issues.  However I have been dealing with constant nerve pain in the area and easily irritated skin on the shaft which my PCP believes to be neuropathy from the bad yeast infection.  Thank you in advance.

2.5 Weeks from Exposure - Sunrise labs Type Specific HSV IGG
HSV1 IGG = .1 Negative
HSV2 IGG = .1 Negative
HSV1/2 IGM = .28 Negative

11 Weeks from Exposure - Enzo Labs Type Specific HSV IGG
HSV1 IGG = .5 Negative
HSV2 IGG = <.2 Negative

Btw, I am well aware that IGM is a faulty test due to false positives from past infections like chicken pox and mono or cross reaction with IGG, however, i have studied and read (including a post from Dr. HHH) that an IGM negative is still a good sign as false negatives are far less common in the presence of negative IGG tests.
Your rash sounds very much like a fungal (yeast) infection.  Your antibody tests are negative.  If you continue to be worried, you could take one final test at 16 weeks post exposure, but that probably isn't necessary.  

Terri
It's negative Man U don't have it very low numbers
I would also just like to clarify that the bumps and rash was on the shaft of the penis as well as a red bright rash over the entire groin area. It felt like a sunburn at its worst.  The nerve pain and skin irritation has been continuous over the last five months with no visible lesions.
Terri, thank you for your response.  My doctor agreed and so did my derm that it was in fact a yeast infection.  It's the continuous burning that has driven me crazy.  I guess my real question is how confident can I be in the tests I have already taken.  The 2nd IGG test had a slightly higher negative value at .5 and so i was really concerned about serconverting as I've seen you mention "high negatives" in the past.  My dr did think that 11 weeks was enough based on the circumstances.  I'm also just curious about the IGM results.  Do they mean anything at all?  I understand that a false positive is possible but wouldn't my first test in fact mean that i have no detectable antibodies whatsoever (IGG/IGM) and therefore risk of infection is very very low?  Thank you again.
Terri, if you could just let me know your thoughts on the negative IGM test, with the negative IGG tests, I would be very appreciative. I understand that igm can produce a false positive but I am hoping that a negative igm along with two negative IGGs is a good sign that I wasn't infected. If I wasn't dealing with nerve pain from the encounter, I wouldn't even be concerned. Thank you.
I would feel comfortable relying on negative IgG and negative IgM tests, yes.

Terri
Terri, thank you.  I will try to move on with my life and listen to my doctors that, although it may take months, the nerve pain will eventually go away.  Appreciate your time and advice.
You're welcome.

Terri