Herpes Community
POSSIBLE OUTBREAK

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

POSSIBLE OUTBREAK

I currently take Valtrex 500mg once a day.....sometimes I miss my daily dosage, but quickly take it when I remember.    I was not advised to take daily dosage.  After finding out I had herpes 2 and discussing it with my doctor, I decided to take it daily to prevent/lower the chances of breaks and transmission.  Today, I noticed two small white patches on each side of my labia (they're not bumps).  Actually, the spots look the same as what sent me to the hospital initially to be diagnosed.  My question is since it is the weekend should I just double my dosage to twice a day for 3-5 days?  I did take two Valtrex's today.  If I can recall, I think my doctor did tell me if I ever experience an outbreak to double my dosage, but I am not for sure.  I am posting this question for an answer.  I called one of my local pharmacy to ask the pharmacist but she only told me that my doctor can only answer the question because everybody's body is different.  PLEASE ADVISE.  
yes, you can up it to valtrex 500mg 2x/day for 3 days. of course if your regular partner is negative for hsv2, avoid sex until symptoms are gone too.  

if you know you have a hard time remembering to take even the once daily dose of valtrex ( put it next to your toothbrush! ), you might want to just do the cold sore dose - 2gm twice a day for 1 day. that would be 4 of your pills twice a day.  if you do do that dose, be sure to call/message your provider this week that you'll need a new prescription to have enough to cover your usually daily dose because of using enough for an ob.

if your symptoms aren't gone by next monday, see your provider for testing for yeast and bacterial infections vaginally too.  having symptoms with a recurrence on both sides of your labia would be unusual so ruling out other causes that are triggering a herpes recurrence would be necessary.

feel better soon - too darn hot to have  problem  girlie parts!!

grace