Herpes Community
Pain Medication

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Pain Medication

Hi all,

I received Valtrex to help my outbreak heal up.  Is there anything I can take for the pain?  What medication has worked best for you (aside from the warm baths, etc.)?

Thank you for your time.
unless you have a medical reason not to, you can alternate tylenol and advil. it gives you pain relief comparable to some narcotics.  for instance tylenol 1gm at 6 am, advil 600mg at 9 am, tylenol at noon, advil at 3pm etc

you can use topical anesthetics like dermoplast spray too ( the blue can for the genital area, not the red can ). It's typically under $10 at most drug stores and you can spray it on where it hurts as needed.  

if your pain is made worse by urine running over open lesions as you urinate, put your hand in a plastic baggie ( or buy non-latex gloves ) and physically cover the lesions as you urinate.

this will get better though it hurts like a s.o.b right now.

hand in there :)

grace