Herpes Community
Pain and discomfort (no sores)

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Pain and discomfort (no sores)

I have read that Herpes can cause constant nerve pain in the penis. Is this true? I have had this pain for around 3 months and have had all STD checks - all clear. Except they havent and wont test me for Herpes?! I had a NSU which they gave me antibiotics for and that when but this pain is still there.

I have also heard that Herpes can cause NSU in men is that also true?

Thank
Nerve pain in the absence of herpes lesions is almost certainly some other cause - and, I assume you tested negative for herpes regardless. Follow-up with your provider at this point to find out what's causing your pain.
sorry I am slightly confused with your response? is it possible to have penis pain for weeks and weeks without blisters or lesions? I have never had lesion.

Also can Non-specific urithitis be caused by herpes? My doctor will not test me for herpes, she says that she wont without me having blisters. All STD came back negative twice but as i say they will not test me for herpes.

Thanks for your response, i really appreciate your advice.
this is pretty much the same question you asked the last time you posted here.  please refer to your previous post.

grace

Hi Grace

I know I am asking the same questions. But I also experiencing alot of leg pain too. From what I understand this can be a sign of the virus. The pain is generally in the same places on my leg. I am just wondering if anyone has experienced anything like this!?

honestly many other things can cause this other than herpes. don't assume it has to be herpes and follow up on it with your provider.

grace
you need to be more clear in describing your pain in the penis

is it a random shooting pain?  is it pain when you urinate?  

herpes does infect the nerves so they can be affected
The pain is pretty constant after I have got up in the mornings. It have been for several weeks. Not sharp shooting pains but more of a constant discomfort?

Does this some normal of herpes symptoms?! I am going to the doctors this morning, but I know they are just going to say again that I should wait a couple of weeks to see if it settles down. It has been 3 months and its not settled down! What do you think?
herpes will not cause you to have pain every morning.  there are clear periods of no symptoms whatsoever with herpes.  

grace
Thanks grace. I met that in the morning this is nothing then the discomfort gets worse through the day.

In your experience are there situations when herpes will always cause discomfort for weeks and weeks without sores? I appreciate the it may not be herpes but I can't think of what else it could be?! My doctor doesnt know either she has told me to come back in two weeks if it doesnt get better, and she will do a swab of the inside of my urethra.

you still will not have daily symptoms with herpes regardless.  

many things can cause you pain - including things as simple as the pants you wear and where the waistband sits on you.  a one time swab inside the urethra isn't going to be worthwhile either. I wouldn't waste your time on it.  odds are it will come back negative ( you'd have to be having an active recurrence at the time of the swab for it to be helpful ) and it will just add further irritation to your already irritated genital area.

have you seen an urologist yet?

grace

Hi Grace,

Thanks again for your response. I have not seen a urologist, as my doctor hasn't referred me.

I have been tested for all STD except herpes, and all were negative. I'm at a lose end!

Do you really think that this doesnt sound like herpes. The discomfort in my penis is almost constant, i have slight pain in my legs and groin. Can herpes cause pain of the penis for long periods of time without ever having lesions?

Sorry for asking all this Grace I'm just struggling to stay positive at the moment, with this constant discomfort!

correct, ask I've said before, this doesn't sound like herpes going on.

an urologist at this point would be the best follow up.

grace
Hi Grace

I have booked an appointment with a urologist its only a scan though for some reason?!

Anyway can a first outbreak look like a very light non itchy red patch?

it can look that mild if you had hsv1 orally first but usually it itches and hurts too.

Thanks Grace.

Do you mean hurt like a open cut would hurt? Or ache? How long would it take to blister up? and how long would the outbreak generally last for? From initial signs to the end

usually a week to 10 days for a recurrence, 2-3 weeks for a newly acquired infection.
So it can take from a week to ten days for blisters to appear? Sorry wasn't fully clear?
I meant to say I wasnt fully clear about what you meant! Didnt mean to sound rude
any obvious lesions will occur within a day or two of symptoms starting.  for example - if you contracted herpes and started with a headache, stiff neck, general feeling of blahness, you'd have obvious blisters a day or two after that started.

did that make more sense?
Ok I understand. But there arnt necessarily always going to be blisters? Could I ask what would the symptoms of an outbreak be without any blisters?
I am in a similar situation to you but it is lower back pain, leg and buttock pain. There is also a slight penile pain but not apparent blisters or sores. Have you gotten anywhere with your doctor?
I don't understand why Grace is posting this same message on every thread.. It's not like we're all crazy.

Needssumhelps, I have the same exact symptoms. It is constant and has been since day 1 of infection with the virus. The pain itself is varying, but is nonetheless absolutely constant for myself, as well. I've seen urologists, ER doctors and 3 general physicians and all have refused herpes, was difficult to get the test, and test proved negative in myself and only positive in my long-term girlfriend (after anticipating having to pay for the test without insurance because they refused to offer without 'typical symptoms'.)

Get prescribed Valtrex- they'll do it if you beg- and not Acyclovir as I've seen many more positive reviews for Valtrex. Most of all, live as healthy as possible with a balanced diet, excercise if you can, minimize caffeine or tobacco. The nerve pain seems to decrease and eliminate entirely in many people.

Please list any other symptoms you have that are not typical (but for example, don't bother listing joint pain if you've ever had episodes of joint pain at a time absolutely prior to infection)
Also to note some things, I have not had a single blister or blister-like appearance since infection 4+ months ago. My scrotum is visibly redder and sticky to the touch, I get red rashes all over my body but they are fleeting in places that are dry, such as my arms. My penis is also red like my scrotum and always cold to the touch and slightly moist. It gets what looks like marks from a light-brown marker in various places at the tip. But, again, these are all symptoms that are dismissed without thought by the doctors, who will only diagnose it as herpes if 'one of the marks erupts into a blister' (even despite my gf's hsv1-positive status!) The nerve pain I get is mostly localized in and around testes, but nerve pain to one of my legs has really worsened as well. I have experienced jolts of pain through all limbs, though
I am having the exact same issue and no answer, have you gotten an answer?
I've had the exact same issue have you gotten an answer?