Herpes Community
Painless red patches on penis

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Painless red patches on penis

Three years ago i got thrush like symptoms on my penis after vigorous protected sex on a hot night. I put over the counter  thrush cream on it and it got worse. The doctor gave me special cream and tablets thinking it was a bad a case of thrush. The symptoms then got even worse, my penis blew up like a balloon and my skin started to bleed and sores and smegma started to appear. The doctor then thought i might have herpes so he swabbed me, came back clear, at the same time he gave me meds for herpes that did nothing, then swabbed me again and still came back clear.

We then did a biopsy and the results for that said it could be herpes but they can not be sure, which was confusing.

So 2 months after this appeared it went away by itself.

Stupidly a month after they went away i applied more steroid cream to my penis because the skin looked cracked and i wanted to clear it up, and the whole thing started again and went away by itself.

4 months after the original outbreak i got a blood test and it came back all clear for herpes.

Mid last year a couple of times after sex redness would show up in the areas of the outbreak, but would go away when i put moisturizer on it, would vanish in less than half a day.
Lately this has been happening allot, one day my penis will be red and the next it wont,even the areas where the small sores were show up, and they only vanish very fast with moisturizer. It has been hot lately, i think that's what triggers it.

So could this still be herpes, or something else like a skin condition?

Thanks.
those are good questions to ask your doctor when you see 'em . also herpes outbreaks can only be removed by a medical doctor/dermatologist  the same with HPV ok :)
I did go to a Dermatologist thats when they did the Biopsy.
Its all very confusing and doing my head in, sometimes i just wish it all came back positive to give me peace of mind.
it would be unusual for a herpes ob to cause the symptoms you initially have and stick around relatively unchanged for 2 months. You following up later on with herpes igg blood testing that came back as negative confirms that it's very unlikely that you have genital herpes.

time to follow up with the dermatologist again for your new symptoms. They could be many things from irritation, sensitive skin, a dermatitis or even a fungal infection. we'd totally be guessing which is why proper medical exam is a good idea.

grace
Thanks for your advice. I do find it funny how the biopsy said it could of been herpes but they could not be sure, why would that be? Is there any other condition that may look like herpes under a microscope?

Thanks for your advice.
Ok Just came back from my doctor (actually a different one as mine was on holidays) He said it probably is a fungal infection so he told me to get some over the counter cream which i will not do, as i think i must be allergic to it as last time my penis blew up and got sores on it from that stuff. (is that a usual thing to happen?)

Another thing i cant understand is why this so called fungal outbreak has brought up all the old scars from my original outbreak and then they disappear when i apply moisturizer? Is this a common thing with fungal infections?
This is something the doc could not explain to me.

Will fungal infections go away by themselves?

I actually think it is a dermatitis irritation brought on by heat and sweat, , and thats why the fungal creams make it worse, but i am no doctor.
try the antifungal powder instead and see how that works for you.

dry and/or irritated skin will make things look more prominent on the skin.