Herpes Community
Pap smear and Herpes

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Pap smear and Herpes

I was recently tested for all major STDS, all came back negative. However I had an abnormal pap smear. It was consistent with genital herpes. How is this possible? I have to wait over a month to be tested again, I guess it's too early to know if it's true or not. Any info?
They evidently saw multinucleated giant cells on your pap test which are sometimes indicative of genital herpes. it's not the most accurate way to test for herpes. when you had your std testing done, make sure that it included a type specific herpes igg blood test. if it did and was negative then at this point getting your partner tested for herpes with a blood test is the best next step while waiting to repeat your blood test.

grace
I don't think it included that. But if I have to wait over a month to be tested because the antibodies won't be there until then, how can my partner be tested accurately?
No you do not need to wait a month to be tested again - you and your partner can get type specific herpes igg blood tests now to see who has what. If you do really have genital herpes - either you had it before you met your current partner so yes your blood test will be + now or you got it recently from your current partner which means that they will test + for it on the blood test now too.  Make more sense?

grace
Ok, yes it does make more sense now. THANK YOU! I didn't want to wait at all to find out. I have one last question though.. Is the only reason why multinucleated giant cells were found in the culture of my pap because of herpes? Or are there other reasons why I could have them, my doctor told me not to worry, not to walk out thinking I have herpes. But if I have those cells, doesn't that basically mean I have to have herpes for them to show up in my pap?
No it doesn't mean you have to have herpes which is why additional testing is recommended to follow up on it.

grace