Herpes Community
Passing herpes to child

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Passing herpes to child

Is it possible to pass genital herpes to a child by showering together? The only contact was helping him wash his ears and shampooing his hair.

Also, are Herpes blood tests accurate after 19 weeks and after 1 year? i.e. if the test is negative for both hsv1 and hsv 2, it is 100% certain that one does not have herpes?

Thanks, Joe
No, showering with your child is not a risk for genital herpes, which can only be contracted through skin-to-skin contact of a sexual nature (heavy kissing, oral sex, genital sex).

No test is 100% accurate, but if you have tested negative after one year and have not shown any symptoms, you have no reason not to believe the test.
Thanks a lot ehbeedub. First part is very clear and quite relieving.

Second part is where things get tricky. I do "feel" some of the symptoms, but I have OCD... very hard to know if those feelings are real or not... Tingling, itchiness, etc. I do get a few very small blisters, but by the time I see a Dr, a day or two later, are usually very diminished and they have always said not worth sending for a culture. Never had a cluster, always single blisters in the inside of the thigh.
are you male or female?

you wouldn't have multiple blisters with herpes recurrences regularly. really no reason to doubt your herpes test results.

grace
Thanks Grace.

I am a male. wouldn't be so concerned, but my son is again getting the blisters on the same place on his left ear. He says it is very itchy. I have asked him not to scratch, but you know how kids are.

Last time the doctor said it could be external ear infection. we'll see what he says this time.

I got myself tested again. Will see what the results are. I know that the probability I have it is very low and if I had, that passing it to my child by non-sexual contact is close to zero... still the possibility of it being the case is affecting me badly.

if this would be herpes on his ear, more likely hsv1 which he can get from an oral herpes infection that travels a nerve tract to the ear or can be obtained from anyone kissing him on the ear who has oral herpes.  is he getting seen today for it?
Hi Grace,

By the time he came back from school, the blisters had scarred so no chance of getting a swab. Got my results back with both HSV 1& 2 negative at 0.1 for IgG. Saw a specialist and he repeated what you said :) mentioned that I should go back if I see any blisters for a swab, just in case.

Guess I will have to calm down and wait to see if vesicles come again to have them tested.

Thanks again!
at least you have a plan in place now :)

kids are always getting some sort of rash!