Herpes Community
Penis Irritation Comes & Goes......Herpes?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Received unprotected oral sex from woman I didn't know on April 12/10.
One week later began to panic and suffer severe anxiety.
Suddenly I began to experience genital itching and an overall feelinb of being ill including lack of appetite.
Two weeks later, still itchy and suffering from severe anxiety, I began to wash my penis in a vigorous manner using a strong anti-bacterial soap.  Public health doctor says she sees no STD.  
Week 3, the itch would come and go so I switch from anti-bacterial soap to salt baths.  I used large amounts of salt b/c I wanted the itch to stop.  After a week, I noticed some dryness and irritation around the head of the penis.  Wasn't sure if it was from the different soaps or possible herpes outbreak.  Clean test for gonorrhea and clamydia (chlamydia).
Week 4, stopped the salt baths and went to back to regular soap, also started using an anti-fungal cream.  The itch still came and went, some irritated skin only around the rim of the penis.  Saw a different doctor who says she sees no sign of STD but thinks my sysptoms may be psychological.
Week 5 I have 4 days feeling 100% back to noraml and then all of a sudden I began to get a sore throat.  The sore throat leads to more itching on the head of my penis.  Only visible sign is some redness and irritation on the rim of penis in the same spot.
Week 6 I feel fine for 2 days without symptoms but the itch continues to come and go.  Viisible irriattion also comes and goes.  I stop using the anti-fungal cream.
Week 7 I return to the doctor for a follow up.  She still says she sees nothing but suggests that maybe my constant cgange in hygiene might be the cause of my penis irritation.  She says that if the irritation comes and goes, it is like JUST an irritation and not an STD.  
After this visit to doctor I go  6 days of feeling 100% without symtoms (symptoms) or itch.
Presently, Week 8, after the 6 days of feeling great, my itchhas returned for the past 3 days and there is a slightly visible irritation that I would describe as an irritated penis rim with slight redness.

I know I'm being long-winded BUT what can possibly be casuing an intermittent itch on the rim of my penis that also includes an intermittent visible irritation when 3 doctor visits have ruled out Herpes?

I have not had any fever, no discharge, no penis pain, and no blisters.  But I have had itchiness, irritation, discomfort, fatigue, anxiety, some soreness in testicles and an overall feeling of being sick.

ALL symptoms for the past 8 weeks have been intermittent.

Any ideas?
no it's not warts going on. warts don't cause these symptoms either.  

you've irritated your skin quite a bit. it'll take time to undo that.

as a fyi - washing up after sex and for days after wards doesn't do anything except to reduce your natural protective skin flora that keeps you from having issues.  std's are transmitted during sex, they don't lay on the skin to work their way down into  your body.

yes indeed psychological factors can cause itching for this long!

grace
this doesn't sound at all like herpes going on.

I think you've overly irritated your skin and have a lot of anxiety about this encounter in general to be honest.

grace
Thanks for the response, Grace.

If not Herpes, should I be worried about Genital Warts then?  Would an HPV infection cause such an intermittent irritation and itch?  Can symptoms last for 8 weeks based on psychological factors?  

Can these feelings simply be chalked up to a combination stress, anxiety, over-washing and over-inspecting myself?

8 weeks just seems like sucha long time to be experiencing this itch & irritation.

Thanks again.

grace
I knew full well that washing wouldn't remove an STD but my panic attacks and anxiety had my "scrubbing" and washing my genitals quite vigorously at the time.

I've gone back to a normal washing routine for about 3 weeks but I still get flare ups on the top rim of the penis head.

As for my anxiety and panic attacks, I still go those on a daily basis.

You input and responses are greatly appreciated.  Thanks very much for you words.
I should add, another strange thing is that after a nice cool shower, my irritation and redness goes down and I feel better in the genital area.

The odd part is that this week (wk 9), I feel like my groin and/or testicles are a little uncomfortable.

Considering that my sexual activity has almost stopped for 8 weeks, can the lack of activity (ejaculation) actually cause testicular discomfort?
I have yet another question:

I have had Oral HSV 1 for most of my life.  Is it possible to also get Genital HSV 1 even though I already have it orally?  If what I feel on my gentials (no outbreak yet) turns out to be Herpes, is there a greater chance of it being Type 1 or Type 2 if the act in question was unprotected oral?

I've heard of it happening, but very rarely.  You have a natural immunity to contracting HSV1 at a second locale, after having developed the initial antibodies.  It's certainly not impossible, just not likely.
Hmmm, thanks sadgirl789

But don't i also have antibodies that help protect me against HSV 2 or that totally different?

I'm just so stressed b/c the symptoms have been intermittent for 8 weeks.  One day I'm convinced I have something and the next day I feel fine.  The same with the physical skin on my penis, it seems to get worse, get better, then get worse again.

It's a vicious cycle b/c part of this may be pschological and it really affects the mental side and then back n forth and back n forth....

I know I have Type 1, I just really want to know if I picked up Type 2 and then deal with it from there.  The sex helpline keeps telling me NOT to do the test b/c it will only make me more worried if it comes back positive.
Hmmm.....I believe that having HSV2 can protect you against acquiring HSV1, although the opposite isn't true.  

Why not go to the doctor and get a viral culture of the lesions?  Go to the local STI clinc; they'll likely have the PCR testing (swab of lesions).  

Personally, I'm not sure "ignorance is bliss" when it comes to testing vis a vis not testing.  You are nervous and likely will remain so until you have the definitive answer.  Why live in limbo?  Test and you'll know the score.  
At 4 weeks AND 8 weeks the public health doctor felt that I had no visible signs of a herpes lesion and therefore no culture was taken.

My concern is that I still get symptoms and itchiness and irritation and some skin changes and these symtoms (symptoms) are intermittent.  In my own mind, I have convinced myself that I have Genital HSV 2.
I totally get what you are going through.. I am going through almost identical situation as you. I am on week 5 1/2, and have a constant itch and groin pain.. some dryness/redness at base of penis and a couple of spotty little marks scatttered around pubic area that are real small, barely noticeable, and both my primary and dermatologist disregarded it, saying it was irritation/natural skin variances and def. not herpes. I have been extremely stressed as well, anxiety on a daily basis (though of late it has reduced) and I suffered a few very bad panic attacks over this.. I am not admitting that its totally anxiety and stressed related in my case, but I am starting to slowly consider this as a large part of whats going on because its been for weeks and I haven't had any OB's.. so I dont know, I hope this helps, and please keep posting as maybe we can learn from each other's situation. BTW, I am also experiencing some symptoms that may indicate I have an infection of the bladder/kidney/or testicles too.. so you may want to look into that for yourself as a possibility.
Thanks for your input justcurious25.  I had no idea so many people where going through this.

Of my 3 doctors visits, all seemed to believe that my symptoms were partially psychological.  That gave me some optimism at the time but it's very frustrating to still get intermittent symptoms this long after the incident in question.  It's this very situation that makes me disregard a doctor's opinion and has me searching to prove to myself that it MUST be HSV 2.

It's an old cycle that I wish I could get out of.  Heck, even today, I can home and had a shower.  The skin irritation seems to have calmed down but I still have a general itch in the genital area.  Weird or what?  No lesion, no blitser, no discharge, no pain, JUST itch and visible skin irritation.

yep, i have the same thing, but I do have little marks (Just a few in scattered locations) but these arent really even visible and according to my doctors are just irritated skin glands.. no resemblance to a blister at all. I hear ya about the cycle too, and its almost as if you want to be told you have HSV just to get over the fear or not knowing but it seems like its a fight. I think both you and I will end up not having it, but I just hope we are able to find out what is causing this. Its been effecting my life seriously, i have had no sexual activity, been passing up things in fact, and cant seem to shake the thought. How would you describe your groin pain? Mine is on both sides, on the fold where the thigh meets the testicles, its sorta red/irritated and feels like its bruised. It is intermittent as well, and i would classify as a mild ache. Same with testicles, occasional, mild, sometimes though it comes on strong for a a minute or so. At night when i lie down it sorta bothers me... I have had this before though (just the testicular discomfort) a few years back, forget the diagnosis but I saw a urologist and he gave me antibiotic and I was better.. I believe it was some sort of infection of testicles, he said urine possibly shot into them and thats what was causing heavy./dragging/discomfort feelings.
My testicle discomfort just came on over the past week which is roughly the end of week 8, into week 9.  It's right in the testicles and not "painful" just very uncomfortable.  Not sensitive to touch but I know it's there.  Today it feels better.

The rim of my penis seems to get irritated and it's almost like it gets a little "puffy" and "bruised" looking.  No blisters as of yet.  The inflammation swells up and then goes back down.  If I shower and then lie naked on the bed for a while, it feels good.  It seems that friction from my clothes casues it to flare up.

What about you?  What do you see/feel?

do you think part of our testicle/groin discomfort could be from a sudden lack of sexual activity?
Hmm your pain is different from mine. I dont have any swelling, and I got my pain 3 weeks post encounter. its a mild ache in my testicles.. a heavy/dragging feeling at time.. and a tender feeling on both flaps of my groin (where thigh meets testes) and there is redness there. The feelings  I get are weird b.c its not really painful, just discomfort and its just THERE. I think you know what I mean. No I know its not due to a lack of sexual activity. Def. not. Thing that is killing me is that I am passing up activity because I am not sure if I have something and can spread it.. whether it be herpes/infection/fungus/or whatever...My doctor says I am arrite to go but I really don't know if he is correct on that one.
one strange symptom i forgot to mention:

when i get the itch on my penis head, at the EXACT same time, i get the EXACT same itch on my left big toe.  and sometimes, all of my toes tingle on my left foot.  Is that odd?  does that lean more towards it being eczema/dermatitis/psoriasis or something?
hey natch, i have noticed that if i pull on my pubic hair in a certain spot, the top of my right hand tingles with a stabbing pain.  i think that is just nerves that are somehow connected to other parts of the body.  just guessing.

to natch and justcurious, i am having something similar to you guys.  i am not sure if it is herpes or something else (urinary tract infection, another std, or psychological).  first sore throat, then legs broke out with bumps in many places which is not common with me,  then noticed a bump on right side of foreskin, then more recently two small bumps on left side of foreskin.  none of these bumps have ever broken out.  now they are just there.  i have some weird sensations/aches in legs, butt, penis and testicles.  this is the part i'm unsure of, because i fear it might be psychological from all the anxiety.  

my doctor looked at my genitals and said it was def. not herpes.  he said i should not have a blood test (w/ much the same attitude as the sex help line that was mentioned above) based on the idea that, in his opinion, its a waste of money because a person may have been exposed and had an immune system kill off the virus completely before it could progress to the point where you aren't able to get rid of it, i suppose.  this sounded crazy to me, because i always heard that once you have it you always have it.  what do u guys think?  i mean, he is saying that many test are false positive, because the blood test shows an exposure, but the virus is no longer in the body to cause any hard or possibilty of transmission to someone else.  is he crazy?  

another problem i'm having is intermittment burning when i pee/ejaculate.  only once when ejaculating recently.  more often with urination.  seems like when it rains, it pours!  good luck fellas, and it is nice to have someone to bounce this stuff off of.

also forgot to mention that i do have some intermittent itching on scrotum and penis.  and something else that is really bugging the crap out of me is a sweeling of my penis head on the top.  the middle part of the top of the penis head.  where it meets the foreskin.  it is hard to describe......where the head comes back and sinks in to meet the shaft at the foreskin, on top, its as if there is new flesh right there that was added behind that part, not on top.  i guess its swollen.  i shaved recently and thought that might be irritation that swelled it when it touched the newly shaved hair.  i'm afraid that its a big blister forming, but its been there 3 to 4 days and hasn't changed.  much like these bumps, its like my skin is changing, and then staying that way, with no break outs.  very confusing.
As grace said, none of this sounds like herpes. Your anxiety has got the best of you is my opinion.
anxiety shouldn't cause new bumps/abnormalities of the skin and swelling to appear.  maybe my case isn't herpes but when a doctor tells you its nothing to be worried about and you know things are changing, you get a bit worried.  he doesn't see my penis every day!  lol
If you have symptoms, see a doctor. However, your symptoms don't sound like herpes. Bumps randomly on your legs would not be herpes. Did your doctor give you a diagnosis? And pulling on your pubic hair? Well yes, of course it hurts!

As to being tested, your doctor is wrong. Anyone can have a blood test to determine their herpes status. It would be an IgG type specific blood test.

i wasn't referring to the bumps on my legs.  i was referring to the bumps on my penis.  he gave a diagnosis of nothing, not herpes, nothing. i don't make a habit of pulling on my pubic hair.  i did once, for whatever reason (to get a better look at something i suppose) and noticed that it created pain in the back of my right hand, which would imply some type of neurological connection to that area.  i was making a comparison to natch's mention of itching in his toe that happened when he itched elsewhere.  

i wouldn't normally think that bumps on my legs would be herpes, but since it happened at the same time the other things did, i got nervous and thought it might be an outbreak.  i guess some of the stories of outbreaks on calves and ankles (below boxer shorts area) and other body parts got me worried.  i think i just got lots of pimples on legs from anxiety from it all and freaked out.  am i right in saying that stress can make you break out, often with pimples?

petal, do you believe that false positives occur at all?  and also, please comment on the reliability of the blood tests in light of cases where folks would test positive, then negative, then positive again, or any combination that would imply an inconsistency. thanks !  
Any changes I noticed on my penis where, according to my Doc, irritated skin or marks so small that i probably never noticed them before.

And even though it's hard for us to believe, psychological factors CAN cause skin conditions.  Here is a simple example of how our minds can affect our bodies:  stress & anxiety can cause a heart attack.  a heart can cause death.  See the power our minds can have over our bodies?

You're making a lot of assumptions in regards to testing. For most people, it's very straightforward. You at least have to START with a blood test, get the results and go from there. No need for "what ifs" at this point. And it's not that I believe, but indeed a fact, that low positives occur, that then need confirmatory testing. But again it's the exception, not the rule.

And remember, even if your test comes back positive, it does not mean your symptoms are necessarily herpes related. Only a swab/culture of active symptoms can tell you that it's herpes. The fact that you had bumps on your lower legs (this is not the boxer short area) and genitalia at the same time makes it very unlikely this is herpes.

Ultimately your doctor examined you and gave no diagnosis. See another doctor, perhaps a dermatologist, to get a proper exam/diagnosis. This doesn't sound herpes related.
Interesting points made. I have to say that Newtothis, I know what you mean, so far my doctor's havent said its anything really.. My primary is telling me its in my mind but it possibly could be epididymitis of the testicles. All i know is that as of yesterday my aching in testicles and groin has grown substantially and i feel a slight burn in the folds and now a very tender feeling in my perineum.. I have had some serious discomfort from hemorrhoids before but I have been looking and noticing many bumps now and am starting to wonder if this may be anal herpes as I believe you can get them even if you are heterosexual. This I do admit though can be another part of over thinking. I have come to the conclusion that no markings on my body are anywhere close to being related to herpes, however, I am still 100% certain that groin ache/burning, and testicle pain, and this tenderness under the sack is very real and I am starting to worry about the lack of urgency with my doctor on this matter. I hear that epididymitis can cause infertility if left untreated... WTF!

As for anxiety controlling the body, I def. agree... It made me look at markings and made me feel random tingles that I now accept were just in my mind, but again, not everything is in our minds and not all doctors always know what is going on.
And I also want to defend Newtothis in saying that, we all know that things like bumps on legs and pimples etc are not always herpes, but obviously we are in situations where we possibly came across this virus, and now all of a sudden things are popping up, and that is why we are seriously considering it to be herpes. I don't know for sure if what I have is herpes, but I do know for sure whatever I have going on right now is def. related to my last encounter b.c I was fine for so long, and then the encounter, and now things are happening.. and she has a scabbed over (she said it was scabbed over but to me it was a little red dot... don't really know the visual stages of oral herpes though) cold sore.. so I mean.. its just logical to assume that its very possible this is herpes.
You have multiple postings and it's most helpful to keep things in your original thread.

Herpes just does not pop up on multiple parts of the body. If oral to genital transmission occurs, you will almost certainly have classic symptoms on your genitals. At this point, consider posting on the STD or herpes forum with Terri Warren or Dr. Hook or Dr. Handsfield, only because they'll have a stronger statement to say than even grace and I do, and they are medical professionals with extensive experience in the herpes and STD field.

You may want to re-read graces and my opinions here:

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Herpes/What-are-symptoms-of-an-initial-infection-of-Herpes-1/show/1246477?personal_page_id=1408622#post_5713122

Assumptions are never a good thing. As grace stated, for peace of mind you can get an IgG type specific blood test at the 3 month mark. And of course, be seen by your medical provider to determine the cause for your symptoms (which again, do not sound at all like herpes).
I am sorry for the multiple postings, I was just commenting on other peoples posts and explaining what I had so that maybe we could find similarities/answers. I will most certainly post on the other forums and inquire further if needed. I will get another blood test at 3 months also for peace of mind, but I do have a last question and it may be useful to others who read these threads. With regards to antibodies, testing, and time... Is there any correlation between the fact that I have not had any classic symptoms at the 4 week mark and testing negative on blood type specific, meaning its been 4 weeks and I would presume the virus would have fought to come out by now thus leading to antibodies to fight the virus in return. I have seen Grace remark about the 2-20 days, but then I have seen her, as well as others, that most people do not get symptoms at all... But I have also read a response in which she told someone that they would have had symptoms already (I believe that person was at the 6 week mark). If in most cases it comes out within 2-20 days..and I was at 4 weeks when I took blood test, why can't I assume that I have a very low probability of testing positive at the 3 month mark?
You are way over-analyzing things, and nothing at this point is indicative of you having herpes. There is absolutely nothing more you can do but follow-up with testing at 3 months, where you'll most likely find it negative. I'd walk away from the computer, get your head out of your lap looking for symptoms, and take a walk, spend time with your family, or find something much more productive to do than worrying about herpes!

I in fact HAVE genital herpes, and it does not consume my days! There are SO many other things that are stressful and fill up my days in life. I post on here to try to help others, but other than that herpes takes a seat far, far back on the bus of my life (actually I dropped it off several stops ago!)  :-)
LOL. I am quite a normal young male though I def. admit to having OCD with certain things, and this being one of them. I get anxiety over it constantly. I have struggled back and forth of being obsessed and not caring, and hopefully when I get this groin pain issue resolved (which I do believe is not herpes), then maybe I can move on from this. I do appreciate your help, it works, I find comfort in your encouragement and I also blindly trust your opinion. I apologize for my persistent questioning. I just stress it so much b.c I am a caring person and do not want to transmit it to anyone and am afraid that if I do have it, every encounter I will ever have will be that much less enjoyable because of this. If i was married it would be a different story. But oh well, and so it goes.
Have you thought about talking to someone about your OCD tendencies? That could help you... not being judgmental here, I've been to therapy/counseling at times in my life; it can be a huge help. The fact that you worry about transmitting something you don't even have, and already are thinking sex will be less enjoyable because of that, well, that's a big admission. I know my sex life is better than ever - herpes did not change that at all. So, not sure if you've talked to someone, but consider it. Move on from herpes though - really, there are many other productive things to do :-)
You know, my doc recommended counseling as she def noticed that I had extreme anxiety and that this situation gave me considerable psychological issues.  Herpes or no herpes, it's worth doing.  I find that talking it out helps me greatly.

As for my symptoms, today everything has gone down, from irritation to redness to itching.

Here is a question (that may hve been answered but i'd like to ask again):  So if I only received oral, it is more likely that the lady in question would have HSV 1 and not HSV 2.  While HSV 2 is possible orally, it's not as likely, correct?  And seeing as I already have HSV 1 orally, is it safe to say that I wouldn't get HSV 1 on my genitals?  So, what are the real risks % of getting HSV 2 on my genitals from oral considering i already have HSV 1orally?
HSV2 occurs orally in about 3% of all oral herpes cases. Of those, shedding occurs1% of the days of the year, or 3 days annually. The odds are pretty much astronomical at that point, and hopefully that puts things in perspective for you - aside from the fact that grace stated that this doesn't sound like herpes.

I think you should re-read your own first paragraph as well. Put herpes behind you.
petal, thanks for all the feedback.  i'm sure i speak for all 3 of us.  i would like to make a point.  i think what we're feeling is more concern than obsession or unnecessary speculation.  the process behind the inevitable anxiety is that although most of our symptoms don't point toward herpes, there is always the chance that we are part of the 'exception' and not the 'rule'.  maybe one of our many symptoms is indeed herpes and the rest is mental.  that's a slim chance, but still a chance.  thats a peek into my mind when i get worried about it.  i got worried because i kissed someone with genital herpes, and then started worrying about other partners i've had.  i've put the possibility of auto-inoculation behind me at this point, since i don't i believe i even contracted oral herpes from that girl.  

honestly, at this point, i'm afraid to have a test, although i know i should.  i will be getting a comprehensive std screen at the same time when i do indeed go.  

for me personally, the worry, inspecting myself, and time on the computer looking this stuff up doesn't take much of my time and i actually think this experience has been good for me, because i'm muuuuuuch more educated on the subject of herpes and other stds now, after having this scare.  in a way its a wake up call.  the 'not knowing' is really what generates the anxiety, for me at least.  if i knew one way or the other, i can deal with it in a positive way.   at this point, i'm convinced i have something, just not herpes.  maybe not even an std, but something is out of whack.
w/ regard to testing, i understand i need to go and get tested, and i will accept the results.  it seems thought that w/out overt symptoms (OBs), there is still a lot of mystery after testing.  in any scenario, w/out overt symptoms (OBs), one or both strains of positive hsv could be in either place.  i have seen testimony of people who have had both strains orally.  i can't recall ever reading of someone having both genitally.  thus, many possibilities remain after testing w/out a culture/swab of an actual outbreak for specific diagnosis in terms location.  

this is worrisome to me.  if i come back negative, and then negative again at 3 month mark, i will put this behind me completely.  in the case of any positives on tests, it seems this 'mystery' of whether it's above or below waistline will remain.  

i bring this up, because i started having stuff happen on lips AND below the belt at the same time, but never an outbreak.  otherwise i wouldn't so much worry about location.  lately i've been hoping for an outbreak, just so i would know, since testing won't tell me location.
honestly not everything that goes on in between our legs is due to herpes.

remind yourselves that just because it has feathers doesn't mean it's a duck.  Many things cause bumps, itching and redness.  It's really just not worth obsessing about herpes.

grace
hi guys.  i've recently stopped worrying that this was herpes, like so many have advised, but like clockwork, another development has me suspicious again.  

today i developed a cluster of blisters on my left hand index finger, just after popping a similar single blister on the corresponding middle finger.  this cluster popped up after masurbation (friction and heat) and contact with the other popped one.  i never would have the single blister could be herpes, so didn't worry about contact during masturbation.  

i have some on other fingers too.  Dr. Rockoff of the derm forums says that herpetic whitlow typically manifests on the tips of fingers while dishydrotic eczema is more typically on the sides of fingers.  i had a few a month or two ago and didn't think anything of it.  i would assume this is dishydrotic eczema, due to the symptoms and the fact that people tend to get this when it gets hot, and it is really hot now in tx.  what i'm worried about is how it popped up right after masturbation and the fact that the area where the cluster of blisters popped up contacted an open blister on the next finger.  when i make a fist, that knuckly on my index touches where the open blister is on my middle perfectly.  if i'm not mistaken, these other non-viral conditions that cause blisters on finger such as dishydrotic eczema do not spread by contact.  if that's wrong, please correct me. it would be a relief.  

anyway, another thing i should add is that i was diagnosed and treated for lyme disease last year.  candida (yeast) can be a big problem with lyme, and i have very little to no symptoms anymore.  i understand that candida (yeast) can affect many parts of the body at the same time.   in my laziness i stopped taking probiotics after being treated and am wondering if my mouth dryness, pain during urination, skin breaking out all over, and blisters on my fingers could be due to candida.
see your provider for a proper work up if you are still having symptoms.

grace
My itchiness still comes and goes and I'm starting to wonder if it's a contact dermititis issue.  10 weeks this coming Monday, still no blisters, just some redness, internittent itching and lately a slight bit of discomfort in the groin/testicles (not sure if this is in psychological).  I feel like I've had a sore throat for a couple weeks, again, not sure if this is a result of stress and anxiety.

If 3 doctors said they don't see any sign of herpes, should I consider seeing a dermatologist?
one more thing, my irritation has ONLY ever been on the top, head of the penis and around the top of the rim (nothing on the underside of the head/shaft)

I was feeling better for about a week but I'm having severe anxiety again over this issue.....10 weeks now.....

what the heck can last for 10 weeks if it's not herpes?  I just feel like crying all the time...crawling under a rock and never coming back out....
fungal infections can last years.

honestly,  not everything is herpes.

grace
But doctors didn't diagnose me with anything except irritated skin.  So let's say it is not in fact herpes.  What the heck is it?  A doc would have seen a fungal infection, right?  Should I request a dermatologist then?

You're the best Grace.  Your responses are always a great help.
if you want to see a dermatologist then by all means do so.

grace
what about slight testicular discomfort after 9 weeks?  it's not painful, just discomfort in the testicle/groin area (right side only)....is that related to possible herpes?
you are obsessing about this.  everything is not herpes.

grace
good luck natch.  hope u get some answers.
thanks newtothis99, you too!

and gracefromHHP, yes I am obsessing but it's hard not to when i keep getting one symptom or another for almost 10 straight weeks.
i feel your pain natch.  lol.  we just can't win for losing.  i first had weird things on my mouth that are still there, and then on my genitals that i can't explain, and now i'm getting blisters on fingers, although i hope this is dyshidrotic eczema and not whitlow.

u'll get it figured out.  take care
thanks, you too!
OK, so it's been 12 weeks now.  I get the odd itch now and again and I still see a little bit of skin irritation/redness that tends to come and go.

I still haven't had any blisters at all but I'm wondering what exactly would qualify as a "lession"?  I tend to see some patchy redness and irritation on the head of the penis (comes and goes) but I'm not sure if I should consider this a lession or just an irritation.  How can tell if it's cause for concern?

My last doctor's visit was at 8 weeks and at that time the doctor said she doesn't see anything out of the ordinary.
this does not sound like herpes going on.
OK, I've had a good week.  I had a return trip to the public health office and another physical examination has ruled out herpes.  I also found a good infants eczema soap and everything is looking and feeling way better....almost back to normal.

Thanks for all the input and advice but I think I've finally realized that I've simply stressed and obsessed over this for far too long.

I'M OVER IT!!!!!!!
Good to hear natch, Im having the same symptoms as you Itching and tingling but not on the rash I have on My Penis Glans (glands), Diarrhea, My left foot has a blunt burning sensation to it, lasts about 1 second then goes, Itchy body all over sometimes, A 1 second throb just below my nose but above my lip.

It has been a month and 2 weeks since I recieved unprotected oral sex. I just recieved my results IGG HSV-1 NEGATIVE 0.862 AND HSV-2 NEGATIVE 0.550, I dont understand this as I had a coldsaw when I was little, which surely would mean Id test positive for HSV-1?
I'm back.  After over 4 months of stress & anxiety and some brief excitement, I'm back.

As you can see by my last post, I was cleared at 12 weeks of all STI's but for HSV it was only based on 4 physical exams over the 12 weeks period.

On August 23rd I had unprotected sex with my partner.  On August 29th, she complained about a bad itch in her groin area and also said she felt tired and a little sick.

So I had a huge relapse.  I've convinced myself that I must have HSV afterall and now I've passed it on over 4 months later.  I should mention that I wasn't sexually active during that initial 12 week period and since July 8, I have only had intercourse a couple of times.

Well now that my partner has been feeling off (she says it's a probably yeast infection), I'm a mess.  I'm all stress and anxiety again and I'm didn't sleep last night.

In 20 weeks, can I NOT have a herpes outbreak but STILL have herpes?
your partner needs to go and be seen and get a proper evaluation of her symptoms. this isn't likely to be herpes going on.
yes, she will go to get checked out for what she believes is a yeast infection.  

from my end, should I just relax, stop stressing and just wait to hear back from my partner?  would it be odd to never have an outbreak in 20 weeks but still be carrying the herpes virus?  thx grace.

I think you need to come up with a better hobby than worrying about herpes at this point :)   Perhaps come walk my dogs for me and give them baths and then figure out what is eating my potatoes out of my garden and keep it out of there?  I also have painting you can do if you get bored :)

really not everything is herpes. don't let guilt make you think otherwise.

Guilt is my biggest enemy for sure.....but I actually do like painting  ; )
you like to paint?  perhaps we can make a deal....he he he
So if a man has oral HSV 1 and he performs oral sex on a female partner, that female can get HSV 1 on her genitals, right?

OK, so then can the same woman then give HSV 1 back to the same man on HIS genitals if they have sex in the future?

(yes, i actually LIKE painting!)
No because its highly unlikely once you have the virus to be reinfected in another area of your body as you have built up antibodies.
so what is more likely then:

to get hsv 1 on a 2nd location or to get hsv 2 on the genitals after RECEIVING oral sex?

i was under the impression that getting hsv 2 from oral is about a 3% risk
neither are likely at all. personally I wouldn't even put them on my things to worry about list - ever.

no, it's about 3% of all oral herpes infections are due to hsv2, not a 3% risk.
maybe it's all in my head.  since my partner told me on sunday about not feeling well and being a little "itchy", i have developed an itchy crotch, itchy feet, sore lower back, sore lower abdoman and i'm always tired.

i really hope this is just my mind playing tricks on me.

i even noticed 2 tiny red marks under my foreskin.  if i stretch the skin out, they like like little red irritations, barely a bump.  but there are 2 individual marks maybe half an inch apart, both the size of a pencil tip.
stop poking and prodding and stretching things!!!
almost 26 weeks has passed since my questionable contact with the random stranger.

I still get itchiness but I've never had a blister.  The itchiness STILL coems and goes but seems to be brought on by contact/friction.

If I've gone 6 months without ever seeing a blister, can I finally rule out herpes?
if you want, get a type specific herpes igg blood test and then move on.
Hey there Natch0412,

I have been experiencing the exact same symptoms as you first mentioned at the beginning of this thread for about 2 months now. My penis is red and itchy around the head and the skin looks inflamed and a purple-red color around the bottom. I also have white patches on the back of my tongue. I was panicking that this was herpes like you, but I got examined 6 times by 3 different doctors to make sure lol. All STI tests are negative.

Each doctor told me that it was not an STI and not to worry about it.. But they did not treat my problems. I am still itchy around the head of my penis, shaft and sometimes testicles and thighs but I never had any herpetic lesions of any sort. I have been dealing with this problem but it is really uncomfortable at work sitting at my desk.

My doctor said it might be psychological too because the girl I was with just before this occurred was quite promiscuous and I was worried about it. But I am kind of at peace with what I did now and the symptoms still persist.

What kind of anti-eczema soap did you use? I really want this to clear up. I cannot masturbate or have sex anymore because my penis gets so sore and red. Really depressing. I think that it is thrush personally because it is affecting my tongue and penis so I will ask the urologist I am seeing at the end of the month about anti-fungals or something.

WorriedSick
hello I received unprotected oral sex a about 3 months ago and signs of and std come and go, it rarely burns when I pee only after masterbation (masturbation) and after I pee a watery urine comes out, I have no signs of warts or anything, I have not been tested yet I'm just wondering how to stop this irritation of my penis it's really irritating I get the odd twitch at the top it, I'm not sure if I have an STD or not and I don't want to go to the doctors cause my parents will know if I have one and I'm only 15, somebody help me?
-Watery urine comes out after I pee
-Painful urination after Masterbation (masturbation)