Herpes Community
Percentages?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Percentages?

I recently told I guy I am totally into, that I have HSV 2...because I wanted to be honest and make sure he knows before we take things any further..he was dead silent for a bit as I cried my eyes out waiting for a response....
and after we talked some more and he asked some questions, he said he wants numbers....as far as what is the risk percentage of how likely it is for him to contract it from me...
obviously I know its less likely when a condom is used, and not as likely to transfer from a woman to a man as it is the opposite, but he wants numbers, so is there a percentage of likeliness that he will contract HSV 2 that I can give him...? If we take this step we are most likely planning on making a step closer to commitment...so its not like I am just in this for the sex...or him either for that matter...just need some idea...??? Anyone know???
I encourage you both to read the free herpes handbook at www.westoverheights.com. it's a terrific online resource that is up to date and written by Terri Warren, our herpes expert here at medhelp.

make sure your partner gets tested to know his own status. 1 out of every 4-5 adults in the US has hsv2. It's very common and the majority of people who have it, have no idea that they are infected until they are tested.  You two can't make educated decisions about what precautions to take until you know who has what!

so what are his real risks of contracting hsv2 from you? Well if you two did nothing but avoid sex anytime you had anything going on genitally, he's be 96% likely each year NOT to contract hsv2 from you. If you take daily suppressive therapy with valtrex , use condoms properly along with the first precaution, he's looking at a 99% likelihood each year on average of NOT contracting hsv2 from you. Very reasonable odds without a whole lot of effort :)

keep asking questions!

grace