Herpes Community
Please Help! PCR test results...

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Please Help! PCR test results...

I recently went to my gynecologist to have a test done due to an abnormal odor I was experiencing.  The day of my test I started lightly spotting but they assured me they were still able to take the culture.  They contacted me with results and told me I was positive for bacterial vaginosis, yeast, and HSV-2 on 5/19.  No lesions were present when she took the culture.  This was done through a PCR test.  She said I was a carrier for sure.  They prescribed flagyl for the BV and diflucan for the yeast.  I ended up visiting again today because I have been freaking out and requested for a copy of my lab results.  The lab results don't show any numbers just what they are testing for and a negative or positive next to it and that's it.

I did the same testing back in October 2011 and came up negative for everything.  My boyfriend who is and has been my only partner since 2 years ago said he has been tested as recently as 3 weeks ago and came up clean.  Not only have I not kissed anyone else, but I definitely have not had oral, anal, or vaginal sex with another man.  My only resolution to having HSV-2 is catching it from him, but according to him being tested 3 weeks ago and not having anything, I'm lost now.  Since my doctor gave me my results and I read up on symptoms, I swear I am beginning to have headaches and nerve pain but I feel it may be coincidental that this started happening the day I got my results.

My questions:

1.  Does a PCR test show levels like I am seeing in some forum posts or is that just applicable to the iGG test?
2.  What is the error rate for a false positive with the PCR test?
3.  Do you recommend that I get a 2nd opinion...another PCR test or a different kind of testing done?
4.  Is it possible for me to be positive and he is negative?
5.  When you get STD testing done, is herpes testing included automatically or is this only done if requested?
6.  Is it possible for me to have been negative for HSV-2 in October and not have any other partners but my boyfriend and come up positive for HSV-2 7 months later?

Any help anyone can provide is greatly appreciated.  Advice too.  I am freaking out.  I feel like I can't breathe and am very scared.

pcr doesn't come with numbers. it is only + or -.  it's not a blood test, it's a test that looks for herpes dna on the skin/lesions.

the only way it's false positive is clerical error.

if you need peace of mind, you and your partner should both seek out type specific herpes igg blood testing to see who has what.

yes it is.

usually it is not done with routine std testing.

if you only had a lesion culture and not blood testing in october, indeed you could've had it and not known it.

Hi Grace...I very much appreciate your reply.

In regards to #6, I had both a blood test and PCR tests done in October and came up negative for everything.  My most recent test May 2012, I only had a PCR test done, no bloodwork.  My doctor mentioned she wasn't even looking for herpes and didn't physically see any signs that I had it, but that sometimes these things come up even when they don't suspect it.

My boyfriend says he does a blood test and urine test.  If he has HSV-2 but is asymptomatic, would that even show on his blood test?  I read something about the antibodies taking some time to show. He also has never specifically asked to be tested for herpes, but tells them to test him for "everything".

I always come up negative for everything on my test results until now, but he insists that he is clean.
have you seen your bf's test results to know that indeed he was tested properly for herpes?  yes it would show up if he was infected even if he thinks he's never had symptoms.