Herpes Community
Please help

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Please help

Hello , I was told by my doctor when I was 17 that I had a disease called herpes type 2. My first reaction was that my life was gonna be over , I thought I wasn't gonna be able to live knowing that I had the disease. I looked at it as of aids - it will never go away ) like I have a S.T.D forever , how will I ever have a boyfriend carrying this type of weight on me . I will never be able to have anymore kids or anything . I have a one and a half old son and I kiss him a lot . Like he's my little man can't help but to kiss and hug on him all day long , he's my child. But I have a problem and I've been stressing alot lately about it and I turned to this site for questions . My son have cold sore looking sores on his lips , can it possible that I have passed my disease onto my son by kissing him ?  Please help
If your HSV-2 is genital only then there is no risk in transmitting it to your child through kissing. Even if you do have HSV-2 orally, which is highly, highly unlikely, it sheds so infrequently (less than 1% of days) that it's a not a realistic concern.

Have you been tested for HSV-1? If you have HSV-1 (cold sore virus) then you could have spread your cold sores to his lips through kissing. If you don't then his oral infection could have come from anyone who's kissed him including relatives who've given him an innocent peck on the lips. If he does in fact have HSV-1 orally then he'll never get HSV-1 genitally. Depending on age and ethnicity, 50-90% of adults have HSV-1, so it's not something abnormal, and most people with HSV-1 acquire it as children anyways.
have you taken your child to the doctors yet to have this looked at?

it sounds like you haven't accepted your genital hsv2 infection very well either. have you done any reading on it? I really recommend reading "the good news about the bad news " by Terri Warren, our herpes expert here on medhelp. It goes into far more details about living with herpes than her free handbook does and I think you'd really benefit from the extra info to help you move forward and stop being afraid of your herpes :)

grace
I took him to the doctor and they said there is no way I could have give him the disease , I still wanted to know tho because I was so scared - and I haven't gotten over this and I don't think I ever will , I'm just so ashamed . I never thought this would happen to me