Positive IgM with TITER. What is TITER? Please Help Me
Please help me understand these results. I've read all over this great forum that IgM's are useless.......HOWEVER, I haven't read anything that covers the IgM TITER. I had a scary exposure 4 weeks ago now, and I went to samedaytesting, and got my blood drawn for everything 14 days post exposure.

These were my results:
HSV 1 IGG: 0.09
HSV 2 IGG: 0.01

I already knew this going in, seeing as I had had the same partner prior to this exposure for nearly 3 years. HOWEVER, the next results have me scared.  

HSV IGM ANTIBODY with REFL
DETECTED!

HSV IGM TITER: 1:160 H

I'm so scared that this exposure not only got me HSV, but if so, increased my chances of HIV.

So, I know everyone writes off the IgM as useless, but what about the TITER?  I had a 1:160 H TITER, which I think is bad. Which I think means very high.  I don't know what to do. It has been 4 weeks and I've had no symptoms, but now I'm coming down with flu like symptoms and swollen lymph nodes.

Any knowledge on the difference between the IgM and the TITER would be greatly appreciated. I'm so scared.

Thank You
Could you please provide me with some insight here? I'm going crazy. And I think this POSITIVE HSV increases my chance of HIV
??

PLEASE
When you get an IgM test done, if the result comes back as "Detected", then it is followed up with a reflex to Titer which basically provides a number to say how "strong" the positive result is.

So, HSV IGM TITER: 1:160 H is basically saying that your positive antibody count to the antigens are 1:160.
The H I'm interpreting as meaniing 'high'

If on the other hand, the IgM produced a negative result, "Non Detected", then there would be no need for a reflex to Titer.

BUT, don't worry about the IgM test result you got. .As has been explained throughout this forum s well as on the doctor's forum, the IgM test is a faulty test and actually means absolutely nothing in regards to Herpes Simplex testing and should be ignored. All it does is make people "scaredtodeath" (sorry for the pun ;)

But seriously, ignore  the IgM. I personally had experience with a false positive ion an IgM test myself. Yet, my IGG at that time and all my subsequent IGG tests have came out negative.

Your IGG results seem to indicate you are negative for antibodies...at this time anyway but you actually got the IGG test done a little too early after that last exposure. (14 days post exposure) You need to go get it done gain a couple of months from now to confirm.

And if you do go to have the IGG tests done a few months from now, tell them 'not' to do the IgM next time. It's a waste of your time & money.
Oh, and just FYI to anyone reading, "titer" is pronounced like the 'tie' in bow-tie or tie your shoe. "tie-ter" or "Tyter"

At least that was how the people at my local Quest lab pronounced it to me when I went to see them about some tests I had done recently.

It's not pronounced Tee-ter.
the igm titer test is a very old and very outdated igm test. it has an even high false positive rate than the current igm tests do.

A + igm result of any kind is not very helpful. current cdc recommendations are it not even be drawn. encourage your providers to update their testing knowledge and to stop wasting their patients money!

grace
My herpes titers i was told was over the charts 19.1. I have been tested for aids and negative. Sad thing is I'm 65, been divorced for 9 years not wanyone. One doctor said dont worry it shows your antibodies are working. Really? Been to an infectious disease doc, he said the same. Concerned, is this bad?