Positive for both HSV 1 & 2. What do the numbers signify?
Hi. I'm a 39 year old male. Just got my test results for both HSV1 & HSV2. They were both Serum Elisa tests for IgG and are positive for both. The observed values are 40.83 for HSV1 and 102.5 for HSV2. The reference says anything above 22 R.U/ml is positive. My numbers are quite high. Does that have any special significance? I have never had any symptoms and got myself checked only coz two of my lady partners developed genital blisters and it's their first outbreak. I'm probably having an active outbreak at the moment but it's asymptomatic. Interestingly both my partners also have positive IgG results. Would that not imply that they too were carrying the virus from before?
Hi ,the high numbers only confirm positive and yes both the other people could have had it before.

When determining test results and  the possibility of a false positive, one has to consider the risk factors of the person lifestyle. Your hsv 2 is quite high and would consider that positive.
Thanks for writing in. I'm curious to know if there's any special significance to the how much that number is. Obviously 23RU/ml which is positive is not the same as a 102.5RU/ml .. what does higher numbers imply? Thanks
High number negate a false positive issue
Thanks. I get that now. A positive IgG also implies that I've had it for some time now. Is that right? Would we know how long? How long back might I have contracted it? Is there any medical complication that can arise out of these infections? Thanks again in advance
By some time, the best you can probably say is more than a couple of months ago. Nothing else can be really inferred. As you had HSV1 and probably did so from your youth, you didn't know when infected with HSV2 as you had a range of antibodies and manufacturing capabilities from HSV1 that are of some efficiency in attacking the HSV2 virus.

The immune system is key to managing what is essentially a parasite. The average healthy person will experience a handful of small cold sores a year for their lifetimes. Outbreaks can get frequent and widespread if the immune system becomes weakened. Like most things in life, in a few instances there are worse outcomes.

Stay healthy, avoid stress and you'll likely forget you have HSV until those infrequent reminders. Use those to take even better care of yourself.